Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ford Mustang GT Manual
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening fellow mustang enthusiasts,

I have been wracking my brain with ways to make sure my 2008 Mustang GT gets long life out of its engine. I am not worried about power as much as I am getting a long life out of this car and making it tradeable to a dealership if I chose that route after paying it off.

As far as engine mods go I believe the only thing done to it was a JLT CAI with a Bama tune (93 Race), and a throttle body spacer. The rest of the mods are cosmetic, exhaust or clutch related. With gas prices in my area skyrocketing since February I am considering returning my car back to stock as much as possible. This would involve purchasing the stock airbox and stock air "hose" leading to the throttle body. Removing the throttle body spacer, and adding back catalytic converters. Then restoring the stock tune that is on my Bama device. I am not the one who modded this car, I bought it from a dealership like this already. It is worth noting I have an 87 race tune on the Bama device as well.

My questions are:
1. Is it worth the time/effort to ensure my engine runs within stock parameters and gets the life it was designed for?
2. Is it worth it for the gas prices?
3. Will it help my engine last longer?

My argument for removing the mods is the fact that I am not the one who modded it, I do not know the quality of the mods or how much they are stretching beyond factory settings. My argument for keeping the mods is that why fix what is not broken, the car is running fine as far as I can tell. Anyways, I appreciate any thoughtful feedback and experiences you guys and gals have for me. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Brennan

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have been wracking my brain with ways to make sure my 2008 Mustang GT gets long life out of its engine. I am not worried about power as much as I am getting a long life out of this car and making it tradeable to a dealership if I chose that route after paying it off.

As far as engine mods go I believe the only thing done to it was a JLT CAI with a Bama tune (93 Race), and a throttle body spacer. The rest of the mods are cosmetic, exhaust or clutch related. With gas prices in my area skyrocketing since February I am considering returning my car back to stock as much as possible. This would involve purchasing the stock airbox and stock air "hose" leading to the throttle body. Removing the throttle body spacer, and adding back catalytic converters. Then restoring the stock tune that is on my Bama device. I am not the one who modded this car, I bought it from a dealership like this already. It is worth noting I have an 87 race tune on the Bama device as well.

My questions are:
1. Is it worth the time/effort to ensure my engine runs within stock parameters and gets the life it was designed for?

My argument for removing the mods is the fact that I am not the one who modded it, I do not know the quality of the mods or how much they are stretching beyond factory settings. My argument for keeping the mods is that why fix what is not broken, the car is running fine as far as I can tell. Anyways, I appreciate any thoughtful feedback and experiences you guys and gals have for me. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Brennan
Unfortunately I can’t answer your question, but it is a great question. I am thinking about buying a 06 v6 pony package tomorrow, wondering if it would also last longer stock vs CAI/TUNED.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I can’t answer your question, but it is a great question. I am thinking about buying a 06 v6 pony package tomorrow, wondering if it would also last longer stock vs CAI/TUNED.
Maybe we will both get some good answers then! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Let me try to provide feedback to both of you. The issue of adding a CAI & Tune on a 4.0 or restoring a 4.6 to stock.

As far as the 06' 4.0 goes.
Don't expect many added HP to the 4.0. Sellers will advertise, but will they deliver. One way to find out is install the CAI and Tune. Unless you dyno the car before and after you will need to rely on the seat of your pants. When I had a 06' 4.0 I installed a CAI and a SCT tune with some exhaust mods and it was a little more responsive on the throttle, and louder, but my Butt-O meter didn't really feel the advertised 20 hp gain.

As far as the 08' 4.6 goes,
1. What is the life expectancy the 4.6 was designed for? Wild guess is 150,000 to 200,000 miles. How many are on it now?

2. Regarding the cost savings going from premium to regular: Maybe the only rationale for restoring it to stock is to benefit from lower cost regular fuel. And conversely the double edge of your situation is restoring it to stock is going to cost you money to purchase the parts you listed. How many miles of driving at your current mpg will it take to "earn" back that expense before you start seeing the cost savings of using regular over premium?. If you are a low mileage driver it might take a while.

3. Will it help the engine last longer? What is added to the car will neither reduce or extend engine life. How long have those adders been on the car? And how do you know what impact its had on the engine since added. IMHO, it's reasonable driver habits and proper maintenance & upkeep that benefit the car at this point not restoring it to stock so it can run on a stock tune on 87 regular.

·
Registered
641 Posts
For what its worth, I'm now at 273k miles and still going strong and still get 17 city and most recently on an all interstate drive got 23 mpg. My normal average is 20 mpg for my daily commute. See my signature for list of mods. The NA mods won't reduce engine life, but your driving habits will (city driving, aggressive driving). Now if you had installed a forced induction system, they will in general shorten engine life, especially if the internals weren't changed specifically for forced induction.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a Super Chips FP-1865 for my '07 F-150 5.4, it has tunes for the '08 GT as well, our '08 GT has the 5 speed and 3.31 rear gears and it runs more than well enough to keep us happy, I've never felt the desire to try the FP-1865 on it. I just leave it on the truck which it helped in several ways. I know that for a fee, they'll let me use it on both at the same time, but the car doesn't need it.

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
The tune really shouldn't have a major affect on the life of the engine, unless it is a bad tune and you are pushing it hard a lot.

Here's a different angle on it: you could have the tune checked out and possibly fine-tuned to be more conservative if you want. If I was in your shoes and concerned about this, I'd contact "Lito" (Manuel Pazo) at [email protected] ; and ask him about taking a look at your tune by datalogging. I think he would charge something like $100-150 to help you datalog, read the logs, and then adjust the tune as needed. He does this all by e-mail.

You could probably get a "mileage tune" that might squeak out a hair better mileage on 87 to save a few pennies on gas while you're at it; but I wouldn't expect a big increase in MPG.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me try to provide feedback to both of you. The issue of adding a CAI & Tune on a 4.0 or restoring a 4.6 to stock.

As far as the 06' 4.0 goes.
Don't expect many added HP to the 4.0. Sellers will advertise, but will they deliver. One way to find out is install the CAI and Tune. Unless you dyno the car before and after you will need to rely on the seat of your pants. When I had a 06' 4.0 I installed a CAI and a SCT tune with some exhaust mods and it was a little more responsive on the throttle, and louder, but my Butt-O meter didn't really feel the advertised 20 hp gain.

As far as the 08' 4.6 goes,
1. What is the life expectancy the 4.6 was designed for? Wild guess is 150,000 to 200,000 miles. How many are on it now?

2. Regarding the cost savings going from premium to regular: Maybe the only rationale for restoring it to stock is to benefit from lower cost regular fuel. And conversely the double edge of your situation is restoring it to stock is going to cost you money to purchase the parts you listed. How many miles of driving at your current mpg will it take to "earn" back that expense before you start seeing the cost savings of using regular over premium?. If you are a low mileage driver it might take a while.

3. Will it help the engine last longer? What is added to the car will neither reduce or extend engine life. How long have those adders been on the car? And how do you know what impact its had on the engine since added. IMHO, it's reasonable driver habits and proper maintenance & upkeep that benefit the car at this point not restoring it to stock so it can run on a stock tune on 87 regular.
@ONEZ ST - I would hope the life expectancy with a well-maintained 4.6L would be 200k+ miles. You bring up a good point about the cost-effectiveness of restoring to stock versus just leaving it like it is. The tune has been on the car for about a year. I do not know what impact it has had.

@Jeremy Weigel - I am glad to hear that your mustang is doing well at that high of mileage! It gives me hope. I drive fairly light on my engine, I do the occasional pull but I am careful and do not push it to redline.

@JBert - That is certainly a route I will consider. I am not the original owner of my Bama tuner so I do not have the lifetime tune program. Would I need to purchase a new tuner to work with Lito? I cannot add tunes or datalog on my current tuner.

My main concern now is resell value/trade-in value. When I have this car paid off I am going to consider what my options are with the car, do mustangs tend to sell/trade better if they are stock?

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
@JBert - That is certainly a route I will consider. I am not the original owner of my Bama tuner so I do not have the lifetime tune program. Would I need to purchase a new tuner to work with Lito? I cannot add tunes or datalog on my current tuner.

My main concern now is resell value/trade-in value. When I have this car paid off I am going to consider what my options are with the car, do mustangs tend to sell/trade better if they are stock?
Which tuner do you have? My good ol' SCT X3 from around 2010 can accept new tunes and it can datalog. You might just need to learn how to do it. You can ask Lito directly about which tuners he can use; you could ask him specifically about yours, in the same e-mail where you ask him about whether he might help with your issues.

Generally stock Mustangs sell better than modified ones, but the mods that you have a very common and shouldn't scare too many potential buyers away.

and by the way, my 2010 has about 105K miles on it, including a bunch of track days where it spends a lot of time at full throttle between 4-6.5K RPM's, and it seems perfectly happy so far. Runs great and no problems (knocking wood as I write this, LOL). I had the Bama tunes for a few years, recently went to Lito for my latest.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
@ONEZ ST - I would hope the life expectancy with a well-maintained 4.6L would be 200k+ miles. You bring up a good point about the cost-effectiveness of restoring to stock versus just leaving it like it is. The tune has been on the car for about a year. I do not know what impact it has had.

@Jeremy Weigel - I am glad to hear that your mustang is doing well at that high of mileage! It gives me hope. I drive fairly light on my engine, I do the occasional pull but I am careful and do not push it to redline.

Every car is pretty worthless as far as trade-in’s go. Unless it’s, low miles, paid off, and like a year old. Mods or no mods, the trade in value will be the same. Selling it might. E a different story, but not too different. Mods probably won’t increase or decrease the value. Most people would probably rather buy one that’s stock. Their thinking is that since it’s stock maybe it hasn’t been “abused.”
Unless you can’t afford the 93 octane any more I’d just leave it alone.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
How many miles are on it.
Our 05-09s don't hold a lot of trade in value, stock or modified.
Go on line and see what your year and milage is going for. Now cut that in half, if not more, and that's what any dealer will give you for trade in.
For a couple thousand more, you probably could've bought a 11-12 5.0.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@JBert - I have the Bama Rev-X tuner at the moment. I am glad to hear that your mustang is running strong!

@90lxwhite - Mine is pretty stock but except for new lights all around and the engine mods I listed at the top. So it would not take much to make it stock again. As far as the 93 Oct, it is steadily increasing where I live and my budget is tighter this year than when I got the car last year. So I am hoping to save some money overall.

@marylandGT - I have 123.5k miles on it right now. Hoping to drive it till at least 150k-160k before paying it off. I drive about 15-16k miles a year at this rate. I did not realize that as far as trade-ins go, I assumed they gave a bit less than KBB lists as trade-in value so they make a small profit. I will keep that in mind though, it may be better for me to re-sell it privately based on what you all are saying. That is assuming I ever sell it..

I sent an email to Lito a little bit ago so hopefully, I will get a response in a couple of days. I had the opportunity to get a 2013 5.0 for about 5k more but I could not justify that. My goal is to get out of debt sooner as opposed to later but my love of mustangs is slowing me down :D. All I have besides my car payment is my student loans. Anyways, since I will probably be keeping this car for a long time I wanted to see what it would take to make it last longer. Hence the purpose of this thread. My new goal is just to converse with Lito about what it would take to get a good tune from him that runs 87 but accounts for the mods and has room for any future mods such as long tube headers, cams, etc.

On that note: What would you all think of FRHP Cams and intake manifold? Would that decrease the life of the engine assuming it was professionally tuned for it?

From what I have gathered the most important thing is keeping up with maintenance, changing the oil frequently, driving carefully but having fun periodically, and keeping my eye out for any potential issues. I just had to get a new battery yesterday.. so I am a little paranoid about this car right now.

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
hmmmm . . . .Rev-X is a fairly new tuner, right? Meaning less than about 10 years old? I am not familiar with it, but I would be very surprised if it cannot accept updated tunes and cannot datalog

Regarding the price premium for a coyote -- I have been following that for a long time, and it hasn't changed much. Back when I bought my 2010 (very slightly used) it would have cost me about $6-8K more for a 2011 with a Coyote. Now I could probably sell my car for maybe $12K if I was lucky, and a Coyote-powered 2012 would cost me around $20-22K (or more in these crazy pandemic prices) so it's still about $8-10K more for a Coyote versus a 4.6 3V.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmmm . . . .Rev-X is a fairly new tuner, right? Meaning less than about 10 years old? I am not familiar with it, but I would be very surprised if it cannot accept updated tunes and cannot datalog
It is on American Muscle but I assume it is newer than 10 years old. I am not the one who purchased it. I should clarify on the data logging, the device itself can datalog but my laptop cannot see the tuner within the SCT datalog app even with the correct drivers installed. So I am not sure how to datalog without my laptop.

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
I think that is probably a driver and/or software version issue . . . I had some difficulties getting my SCT X3 to work with my laptop also, and I forget how I finally solved it . . . Lito might have some tips on that

Reactions: IXPrimeXI

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
@JBert - I have the Bama Rev-X tuner at the moment. I am glad to hear that your mustang is running strong!

@90lxwhite - Mine is pretty stock but except for new lights all around and the engine mods I listed at the top. So it would not take much to make it stock again. As far as the 93 Oct, it is steadily increasing where I live and my budget is tighter this year than when I got the car last year. So I am hoping to save some money overall.

@marylandGT - I have 123.5k miles on it right now. Hoping to drive it till at least 150k-160k before paying it off. I drive about 15-16k miles a year at this rate. I did not realize that as far as trade-ins go, I assumed they gave a bit less than KBB lists as trade-in value so they make a small profit. I will keep that in mind though, it may be better for me to re-sell it privately based on what you all are saying. That is assuming I ever sell it..

I sent an email to Lito a little bit ago so hopefully, I will get a response in a couple of days. I had the opportunity to get a 2013 5.0 for about 5k more but I could not justify that. My goal is to get out of debt sooner as opposed to later but my love of mustangs is slowing me down :D. All I have besides my car payment is my student loans. Anyways, since I will probably be keeping this car for a long time I wanted to see what it would take to make it last longer. Hence the purpose of this thread. My new goal is just to converse with Lito about what it would take to get a good tune from him that runs 87 but accounts for the mods and has room for any future mods such as long tube headers, cams, etc.

On that note: What would you all think of FRHP Cams and intake manifold? Would that decrease the life of the engine assuming it was professionally tuned for it?

From what I have gathered the most important thing is keeping up with maintenance, changing the oil frequently, driving carefully but having fun periodically, and keeping my eye out for any potential issues. I just had to get a new battery yesterday.. so I am a little paranoid about this car right now.
Yeah when you trade you’re pretty much giving it way so it is out of your driveway. You’ll never notice the trade on the final amount that is financed.

·
Registered
641 Posts

Yea from what I've researched these 4.6l 3V power plants can easily get over 300k if well maintained and not beat on too hard. As you may have guessed this my daily driver and has been since I bought it new in '06. The only major maintenance I've done was replacing the timing gear, oil pump, lash adjusters and rocker arms at 175k back '16. I replaced the factory clutch and throw out bearing at 195k (it still had about 2mm before hitting the rivets), and most recently I had the rear axle refreshed (less new ring and pinion and spider gears, but plan on those in the near future) 266k. I'll be getting estimates on refreshing the transmission next and I'm already putting back for engine rebuild or crate engine. I'd prefer to get the engine rebuilt to keep numbers matching, but if it craters before that, then will probably have to go with crate depending on how bad it craters. lol

Reactions: IXPrimeXI

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea from what I've researched these 4.6l 3V power plants can easily get over 300k if well maintained and not beat on too hard. As you may have guessed this my daily driver and has been since I bought it new in '06. The only major maintenance I've done was replacing the timing gear, oil pump, lash adjusters and rocker arms at 175k back '16. I replaced the factory clutch and throw out bearing at 195k (it still had about 2mm before hitting the rivets), and most recently I had the rear axle refreshed (less new ring and pinion and spider gears, but plan on those in the near future) 266k. I'll be getting estimates on refreshing the transmission next and I'm already putting back for engine rebuild or crate engine. I'd prefer to get the engine rebuilt to keep numbers matching, but if it craters before that, then will probably have to go with crate depending on how bad it craters. lol
@Jeremy Weigel - That is super encouraging! I hope to keep mine going for a long time. Do you guys find it worth it to have the paint touched up every couple of years? I have road rash and some scratches and paint peeling happening.

I have been doing some reading on what the EPA is doing and how they are investigating car mod/tune companies. Do you all think this will affect our ability to get updated/refreshed tunes in the future?

·
Registered
7 Posts

My questions are:

Sincerely,
Brennan

My questions are:

Sincerely,
Brennan
Hi Brennan, I would highly recommend that if it’s running well, LEAVE IT ALONE! 😊. And considering it’s a 2008, I wouldn’t be too worried about resale value as it has already depreciated considerably and isn’t worth a whole lot on trade in anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have not heard back from Manuel (Lito), about how long should I wait for a reply?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts