Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
that is odd, when I have worked with him in the past he always responded within a day or two at the most . . . he is in South America somewhere if I remember correctly, and I think the virus is running wild down there, so that might have something to do with it

I assume you did not get any e-mail rejection message; double check address: [email protected]

Registered
2008 Ford Mustang GT Manual
Discussion Starter #24
that is odd, when I have worked with him in the past he always responded within a day or two at the most . . . he is in South America somewhere if I remember correctly, and I think the virus is running wild down there, so that might have something to do with it

I assume you did not get any e-mail rejection message; double check address: [email protected]
Correct. No email rejection and that is the address I sent my question to. Hopefully he is doing well!

Registered
Hi Brennan, I would highly recommend that if it鈥檚 running well, LEAVE IT ALONE! 馃槉. And considering it鈥檚 a 2008, I wouldn鈥檛 be too worried about resale value as it has already depreciated considerably and isn鈥檛 worth a whole lot on trade in anyway.
What he said. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
My mods have improved the car's fuel economy as well as performance, and there's no way in hell I'd return my car to stock.

I have not heard back from Manuel (Lito), about how long should I wait for a reply?
Give him some time. He's a very busy guy but being located in Caracas Venezuela with its current problems, his internet connection may be a bit spotty.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
I do appreciate all the feedback I received on this thread. I wanted to update you all on what I ended up doing. So far I have decided to not mod the car further, still deciding on potentially rolling back the few mods that the previous owner did. I successfully have it tuned for 87 octane gas now, which will save me about $11 in gas a week! I do recognize the adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" but in my case, I was reasonably certain I could run my Bama tune safely.

I have three paths ahead of me for this car:

1. Mod the heck out of it over the next couple of years: Cams, exhaust, all ford racing parts such as the intake manifold and throttle body, body kit, new paint job, custom dyno tune, etc. Then drive it till the engine dies.. buy a rebuilt/reforged 4.6L and drop it in and re-apply my mods. So on and so forth. This is the most fun option but it does not make sense financially as the car is only worth at best re-sell value of $10k, I am paying/paid $12k which was KBB at the time.

2. Keep it exactly like it is, finish paying it off over the next 1.5 years. Re-sell privately and use that cash + savings to buy a new mustang.

3. Revert the mustang completely back to stock under the hood (including the stock tune saved on my Bama tuner), get some catalytic converters for the exhaust. Pay it off in 1.5 years. Drive it till it dies (4-7 years estimated time) and move on to another mustang.

I would like your feedback on what you would do if it was your mustang in my situation. I make a decent living and can easily afford my car payment, but my goal is to pay it off sooner rather than later. If I am modding or saving for mods then it will delay that plan. The mustang does need some paint/bodywork but nothing major.

I love the platform of the S197 as I feel it is the closest to the original mustangs I will ever get with my current financials lol. But I also am enamored with the tech & suspension packages of the new mustangs, as well as the looks and paint colors in some cases. I would consider an EcoBoost simply for the fact it makes an excellent daily driver. But enough talking about the newer mustangs I can't afford atm anyway. Thank you in advance for your thoughtful and constructive feedback!

PS: I attached a current photo of my mustang :)!

IMG_2265.jpg

Registered
Mod the hell out of the car at your leisure and drive it until YOU die. Even if the engine dies first, just replace it and continue.

Registered
Go ahead and hang on to it.
Change the oil frequently. The common denominator with high mileage cars still running is the owners kept the oil clean. It's inexpensive and it'll help prevent a lot of problems.
If your going to hold off on engine performance upgrades then I'd recommend start looking at replacing suspension components. Bushings are probably beyond their years with your milage. Shocks/struts, if original, don't owe you anything more. Lol
Most mustang parts companies offer a full suspension kit to replace everything. You might want to look at them instead of piece mealing here and there.
I recommend Late Model Restoration. American Muscle has become unreliable in the last few years.
You mentioned you love the 197 platform. I think it's safe to say most of us still here agree or we would have dumped them along time ago 馃槑馃憤
Hell, I just got a compliment last week and he didn't even hear it running. Lol
Last Fall someone wanted to buy it!! That got scetchy. At a car show, I was coming out of my hotel and some guy, I'd say in his early 20s, approached me about buying it. He had seen me start it a couple mornings. Never asked what was done to it. He was persistent all weekend.
Anyway, yes, these are good looking cars with their retro style!!!

Registered
I don鈥檛 know that I鈥檇 spend too much money in 鈥済o fast鈥 mods. Most the bolt-on stuff won鈥檛 add the sort of power that鈥檒l make or break you in a race and you鈥檙e already starting behind the eight ball so to say. What I mean is, currently yours is pretty comparable in performance to the 3.7 Mustang, and throttle bodies and exhaust parts won鈥檛 get you much closer to keeping up with the new coyote than you are now. A 100 horsepower gain is expensive.
I also wouldn鈥檛 do a rebuild with a forged bottom end unless I had the money to do forced induction as well.
I鈥檇 probably just drive it until it was time to get something newer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
I concur with the responses! I think that is the best route I can go. The one mod I truly want is cams so I can have a great lope, but it costs a good bit.

As far as suspension goes, how does this look?

Registered
I concur with the responses! I think that is the best route I can go. The one mod I truly want is cams so I can have a great lope, but it costs a good bit.

You could probably handle just as well and do it cheaper with a set of shocks/struts and lowering springs. I鈥檇 opt for new and improved rear control arms before sway bars.

Registered
yep that FRPP kit is a nice complete kit with "most" of what you would want; but the springs shocks and struts, and rear lower control arms, could come first for less money. Check out the many threads about lowering and control arms.

Registered
Did these increase your NVH, or is it about the same? I鈥檓 looking at replacing mine n the near future too.
Nah man, not at all and they helped quite a bit. No wheel hop and it corners much better as well. I went with OEM replacement & new rubber bushings for the uppers. Maybe I should鈥檝e went with J&M there as well, but it鈥檚 a pretty good ride as it is. These are these ones I have.

Registered
They say the poly bushings will ALWAYS increase NVH a little over the factory soft rubber bushings. I guess it's a question of whether it is noticeable or not; which depends on how picky you are about noise, and how noisy your car already is.

I went to poly bushings in the rear (and also the front) and did not notice any big or objectionable increase of NVH; but my car is pretty noisy already and I'm fairly tolerant of mechanical sounds.

I think pretty much all of the aftermarket LCA's are an improvement over factory, not sure the brand or model really matters much. I'd look for nice beefy round steel ones, or the "best" might be the larger rectangular cross-section aluminum ones like Steeda sells. The Ford GT500 LCA's are only a very small improvement over the regular GT ones, so I'd skip those.

Super Moderator
The Ford GT500 LCA's are only a very small improvement over the regular GT ones, so I'd skip those.
Yeah, my car is a Track-Pack and those are installed as standard. They鈥檙e not bad, but didn鈥檛 last long after going FI. The increased Torque has compressed the rubber past the point of it鈥檚 ability to recover gracefully, and now wheel-hop at light throttle (from a stop) is creeping in. It鈥檚 not obnoxious just yet, but it鈥檚 time to start shopping. I plan to replace the upper as well.

Registered

JBert and 901X are most likely correct especially if money is tight. I believe that is an issue you mentioned.
Plus you'll be saving money for those cams and other accompanying upgrades. 馃槣馃憤

Reactions: 90lxwhite
21 - 40 of 48 Posts