Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an 89 notch, original 5.0 car for 18 years. Over the years, I have put in a lot of time and money to make it a 12 second car. My question is, should I sell it to get an S 550 or keep what I have. It would be nice to have all the creature comforts of a newer car, such as A/C and modern sounds, but I unfortunately get too emotionally attached to my cars.
What would you do?

Reactions: Torchhorse

·
Administrator
6,902 Posts
Only YOU can decide what will keep you happy. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep what you have and add the other one, you'll never be mad that you have two!
I would probably end up getting divorced if I did that. I wouldn't mind having two, but I already have a C5 Corvette and a 1970 Plymouth 'cuda. My wife would kill me, she doesn't understand why I have 3 cars now, imagine bringing home a 4th?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would probably end up getting divorced if I did that. I wouldn't mind having two, but I already have a C5 Corvette and a 1970 Plymouth 'cuda. My wife would kill me, she doesn't understand why I have 3 cars now, imagine bringing home a 4th?
Always have twice as many cars as you really want, if getting married. Then "she" is all happy when you cut it down to half.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it were me I'd definitely get rid of the vette and then buy the newer Mustang.
The vette was one of the few things on my bucket list. I really like the vette.

Reactions: Torchhorse

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Deciding factor for me would be if the profit from the sale will outweigh the high cost of a newer car and the current interest rates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had an 89 notch, original 5.0 car for 18 years. Over the years, I have put in a lot of time and money to make it a 12 second car. My question is, should I sell it to get an S 550 or keep what I have. It would be nice to have all the creature comforts of a newer car, such as A/C and modern sounds, but I unfortunately get too emotionally attached to my cars.
What would you do?
You can never have too many Mustangs😜! Besides that notch is money in the bank

·
Registered
05 GT Premium, satin silver over red. Vortech Si-trim @ 9 psi.
427 Posts
that notch is money in the bank
This^^^^
Unless you really want to DD a Mustang, don't do it.
The notch will never be worth less than it is now unless you wreck it. Even the oldest S550s will still depreciate fairly hard once this weird market comes to its inevitable end.
This decision would be super easy for me since I still have a soft spot for a nice Fox and the S550 never grew on me. If I ever get a 2015+ performance car, it likely won't be a Mustang. FWIW, it wouldn't be a Camaro or Challenger either.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I sold mine in 2016 for my daughters college costs vs. one of those rip off private loans. Fortunately, I knew the person I sold it to, and I bought it back 2 years ago for $500.00 more than I had sold it for. Lucky me! You will never get back what you have invested in it for a sale. I had people low balling me left and right when I was trying to sell it.
I decided to take it off the road, bought a trailer, and make it strictly a drag car. I like the Fox Body Mustangs. Stock bottom end, heads, cam intake, a little weight reduction, 12 second car budget drag car. Easy to work on. I am not parting with it again unless financial troubles occur. I was looking at the newer ones at one point though.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sold mine in 2016 for my daughters college costs vs. one of those rip off private loans. Fortunately, I knew the person I sold it to, and I bought it back 2 years ago for $500.00 more than I had sold it for. Lucky me! You will never get back what you have invested in it for a sale. I had people low balling me left and right when I was trying to sell it.
I decided to take it off the road, bought a trailer, and make it strictly a drag car. I like the Fox Body Mustangs. Stock bottom end, heads, cam intake, a little weight reduction, 12 second car budget drag car. Easy to work on. I am not parting with it again unless financial troubles occur. I was looking at the newer ones at one point though.
Exactly what I did with mine, stock bottom end, heads, cam, intake, weight reduction, lots of suspension work, gears, worked AOD and a steep converter, 12 second bracket car. It's basically a drag car, but I do take it to the occasional local car show. My biggest issue is no A/C and I live in Florida now. Including the price of the car, I figure I'm into it for maybe 10 grand.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Exactly what I did with mine, stock bottom end, heads, cam, intake, weight reduction, lots of suspension work, gears, worked AOD and a steep converter, 12 second bracket car. It's basically a drag car, but I do take it to the occasional local car show. My biggest issue is no A/C and I live in Florida now. Including the price of the car, I figure I'm into it for maybe 10 grand.
Yup. When I sold mine I figured around 10 grand of upgrades too, or even more. Which I never got back. Bought the car back in 2006 for $4500.00 and put all that money into it. I sold it for $7000.00 in 2016. Bought it back in 2020 for $7500.00 luckily. It was still a stick car. This past Summer I dumped more money in it. Torque Boxes, Dynamic C-4 Super comp with 4200 stall converter, long tube headers, new wheels, slicks and fronts. Now I am having a mini starter put in. Starts hard when hot. Gear swap from 4.30 to 3.90 because I'm hitting the computer fuel shut off now that the car is lighter and quicker. I'm in way too deep to just give it away again. I have the B-303 cam too. Can't imagine no A/C in Florida!

Reactions: Howelldaddy

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup. When I sold mine I figured around 10 grand of upgrades too, or even more. Which I never got back. Bought the car back in 2006 for $4500.00 and put all that money into it. I sold it for $7000.00 in 2016. Bought it back in 2020 for $7500.00 luckily. It was still a stick car. This past Summer I dumped more money in it. Torque Boxes, Dynamic C-4 Super comp with 4200 stall converter, long tube headers, new wheels, slicks and fronts. Now I am having a mini starter put in. Starts hard when hot. Gear swap from 4.30 to 3.90 because I'm hitting the computer fuel shut off now that the car is lighter and quicker. I'm in way too deep to just give it away again. I have the B-303 cam too. Can't imagine no A/C in Florida!
I just noticed you have BMR's upper and lowers. The owner of BMR, Alan Miller, is a friend of mine. I hang with him at many car shows in the Tampa Bay area. As a matter of fact, he wants to use my 'cuda to develop suspension parts for the E body MOPAR. I just recently had a Detroit Locker installed too. Have to get use to the "ratcheting" in turns.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just noticed you have BMR's upper and lowers. The owner of BMR, Alan Miller, is a friend of mine. I hang with him at many car shows in the Tampa Bay area. As a matter of fact, he wants to use my 'cuda to develop suspension parts for the E body MOPAR. I just recently had a Detroit Locker installed too. Have to get use to the "ratcheting" in turns.
I have to change my modification listings it's out of date sorry. I had BMR's. The guy who bought the car from me put in BBK. I don't know why? That's really cool you know him. My Torque Boxes are BMR. That's impressive that he's using your car for development of a product. Yeah the Detroit Locker. The first time turned on to the return road off the drag strip with slicks on, I thought I broke something! I had that put in when I use to drive the car to and from the track. I blew out an Eaton posi clutches with the stick. I was going to have a spool put in with the gear swap coming up, but I'm just leaving it. Have to quit spending money! I would like to put in the BMR tubular K Member though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts