Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I know shop blast is the way to go but here is my situation that I must decide on how to go.

I have a 68 coupe that I recently purchased that is in quite good shape and although it needs quite a bit of work it is raod worthy if I get new tires and minor clutch repair. paint is weathered and old and is on the list of items to do down the road. I plan on putting the car on the road next spring so I can enjoy it as I work on it. Engine is in good shape and runs nice and the interior is pretty darn good as well.Floor pans replaced years ago and undercoated so they are still seale dup pretty nice. I plan on replacing a back quarter and wheel housing this year and then will have time over the winter to mess around with it. I would like to get the entire underside cleaned up and undercoated before I put her on the road.
Since the floor pans are in great shape they should not need much attention for prep work. remiander was original undercoating that is quite loose now and comes off easy with a small scraper. So as of right now Since I will have the tme over the winter and it will cost little money I was planing on putting her up on jack stands and doing all the underwork prep myself.I would then take her to get the underside primed and undercoated by a shop. If I choose to go this route I know it is quite labor intensive. Is it worth it from a cost savings or not. My garage is not big enough to do the shop blasting myself in as there is my wifes car and other items that would be impacted. I suppose I could take it outside also and set it up on stands high and build a containment to do it in if I wanted this fall.
Ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A good route to think about also would be to do everything yourself and really save you some money. You could spray the primer yourself and undercoat is not that terrible to mess with. But if you really are set on a shop doing it just spend the extra and have them do the whole thing.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
If money is not a problem spray on truck bed lining works best and its hard to knock off..The roll on bed liner most places sell will work but 2 maybe 3 coats would work too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If doing it myself will most likely be roll on not spray due to my present garage space.Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts