Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently blew up the engine in my classic mustang (EFI 302 out of a 1989 mustang). I friend has given me a 351 and I was thinking about rebuilding it because I crack my 302 block. I know what would be involved in the conversion but I think I want more power.

So, if I'm looking for 450 to 500 hp at the flywheel should I supercharge it or can this be done with out a power adder. I do still want this to be a streetable package which was why I was thinking supercharger. I'm planning on basing the 351 off the AFR 185 heads off my 302.

Any help you guys can give me would be great.

R

·
0 Posts
to have a street friendly 500 hp 351 i say go with a power adder....

it can be N/A but it will be a bit on the radical side....

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
The AFR 185's are a good choice, they'll work well with any power adder you have in mind.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I agree that a 351 at that power level will be a little radical, but it would still be streetable. I had several of them and it is pretty easy with good heads and a street roller cam to make that power or more, but it also takes a big cam.

A blower is expensive and a lot of work, but it makes a nice street/strip engine. I have a Vortech charged 302 with TFS heads and other stuff that is getting about 18 MPG mixed and makes 425 HP RWHP or more. 119 MPH in the 1/4 mile in a 3200 pound car and that is coasting it through the traps because it is over-geared. A 351W would be even easier to this with!

If I was mostly bracket racing I would not use a blower or a manual transmission. :) Since I mostly cruise, I like the blower and manual trans.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.