Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Having major issues with trying to get a "Charcoal Canister Assembly" for my 05 4.0 v6 which is currently sitting in the dealership apart! The advisor told me that Ford no longer makes it & they tried aftermarket too. I'm literally desperate at this point to find a solution that will not only fix this but really just kinda stick it to the advisor who I know didn't even really try other than to ask his parts dept then have them call one aftermarket. So not happy at this point especially since I myself have tried to locate it & while I'm usually very good at this....I've come up empty handed as well. All are either unavailable or out of stock 馃
Desperately seeking Charcoal Canister Assembly for 05 V6 Mustang!

Registered

Super Moderator
Welcome StangGirl and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven鈥檛 already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We鈥檙e happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

Registered

Registered
"Dealership" is where the problem is. Most dealerships are totally incapable of fixing individual parts. Instead they remove stuff and replace it. A carbon canister collects evaporative emissions from the fuel tank and other points in the vehicle, which are then purged to some point on the intake system to be burned. The car does not need the canister to run, but only to pass emissions or OBD2 testing.

A modern canister has few moving parts, and they operate to perform a vacuum test on the system. Aside from that they only thing that can break is maybe some damage to the plastic housing or mounting bracket that would prevent it holding a vacuum. The caninitser is located adjacent to the rear bumper so is prone to damage.

The mounting brackets on mine were damaged when I bought my daughter's 05 over a decade ago. I used some zip ties to creatively secure it and it's still there, dutifully doing it's job.

Have the dealership toss the old canister in the trunk, pay your bill and drive away. Inspect the canister when you get home and upload a picture of any obvious damage. Chances are a break in the housing can be permanently fixed using a thick bodied glue like Goop Automotive. Damaged mounting brackets can be addressed by creative use of zip ties.

Aside from the basic shape and mounting brackets there is nothing special about the canister from that year Ford, and perhaps for several years. So a malfunctioning valve or sensor can be swapped out from another model. Or a canister from another model can be used as long as you can find a place to mount it.

Registered
Hey everyone! Having major issues with trying to get a "Charcoal Canister Assembly" for my 05 4.0 v6 which is currently sitting in the dealership apart! The advisor told me that Ford no longer makes it & they tried aftermarket too. I'm literally desperate at this point to find a solution that will not only fix this but really just kinda stick it to the advisor who I know didn't even really try other than to ask his parts dept then have them call one aftermarket. So not happy at this point especially since I myself have tried to locate it & while I'm usually very good at this....I've come up empty handed as well. All are either unavailable or out of stock 馃
The vapor canister was originally available by itself and then as a kit encompassing all the associated parts: 7R3Z-9D653-C #8 in the diagram and #7 for the whole kit. Ford dealers have a parts locating system to find old stock sitting in other dealerships around the country. Some will not do a search unless specifically asked to do so because some people are just lazy.
If you can get the part # for just the canister you might be able to locate it even though it's not been available for some time. Or do like suggested above and just get a used one from a local salvage yard. It's the same canister and attaching parts from 2005-07 coupes all engines models however convertibles were different somehow.
Ebay shows 2 used ones listed: 7r3z-9d653-c | eBay but only the one is right as yours is cylindrical. The box shaped one is for 2008 and up. This is the right one though: If it's the other parts in the kit that are needed like the hoses and not the canister itself then a salvage yard is where to go. Salvage yards will differ in helpfulness. Some will go thru quite a bit to find you even the smallest part and others won't be bothered with anything but expensive purchases.

Registered
Just wondering if you still have the problem?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wondering if you still have the problem?
I do....I've bid on the one that cobra found on ebay but its only a part of what I need. Thus far I've found used ones that my warranty won't cover & 1 new one that matches the part number identically but on fordpartsgiant.com claims isn't a match for mine bc its for a 2006....this is just bonkers! Everyone has been so helpful on here though so I'm beyond grateful for ALL help, suggestions & ideas 馃榿

The vapor canister was originally available by itself and then as a kit encompassing all the associated parts: 7R3Z-9D653-C #8 in the diagram and #7 for the whole kit. Ford dealers have a parts locating system to find old stock sitting in other dealerships around the country. Some will not do a search unless specifically asked to do so because some people are just lazy.
If you can get the part # for just the canister you might be able to locate it even though it's not been available for some time. Or do like suggested above and just get a used one from a local salvage yard. It's the same canister and attaching parts from 2005-07 coupes all engines models however convertibles were different somehow.
Ebay shows 2 used ones listed: 7r3z-9d653-c | eBay but only the one is right as yours is cylindrical. The box shaped one is for 2008 and up. This is the right one though: If it's the other parts in the kit that are needed like the hoses and not the canister itself then a salvage yard is where to go. Salvage yards will differ in helpfulness. Some will go thru quite a bit to find you even the smallest part and others won't be bothered with anything but expensive purchases.
So amazing! Thank you from the bottom of my 鉂 with helping to find it on ebay as I'd searched & still without clicking on your link couldn't get it to show. I also found the entire assembly under that same part number at FordPartsGiant.Com & though I've already bid on the used canister by itself....just might get the full assembly bc I looked at mine after picking her up from the dealership & (running far far away lol ) noticed even the housing was in utter disarray. $427 for everything sooo not the worst but also not great either. 馃槙 Thanks so much you've been so amazingly helpful 鉂 馃槉

Registered
1 new one that matches the part number identically but on fordpartsgiant.com claims isn't a match for mine bc its for a 2006
All 2005-07 coupes no matter what engine they had used the same exact part # canister or kit. The only exception from 2005-07 was convertibles as they used a different kit #. Idk what the difference is with them but if you buy used you just need to make sure that it's from a coupe.

Registered
I do....I've bid on the one that cobra found on ebay but its only a part of what I need. Thus far I've found used ones that my warranty won't cover & 1 new one that matches the part number identically but on fordpartsgiant.com claims isn't a match for mine bc its for a 2006....this is just bonkers! Everyone has been so helpful on here though so I'm beyond grateful for ALL help, suggestions & ideas 馃榿

So amazing! Thank you from the bottom of my 鉂 with helping to find it on ebay as I'd searched & still without clicking on your link couldn't get it to show. I also found the entire assembly under that same part number at FordPartsGiant.Com & though I've already bid on the used canister by itself....just might get the full assembly bc I looked at mine after picking her up from the dealership & (running far far away lol ) noticed even the housing was in utter disarray. $427 for everything sooo not the worst but also not great either. 馃槙 Thanks so much you've been so amazingly helpful 鉂 馃槉
Just curious, Did you already win or have you purchased one? The reason I'm asking was a possible alternative which cost maybe $10.

Registered
Just curious, Did you already win or have you purchased one? The reason I'm asking was a possible alternative which cost maybe $10.
Well don't keep us in suspense. What is the possible $10 alternative? Lol Seriously though, it may help others who come across this thread in a search in a similar situation.

Registered
if you buy used you just need to make sure that it's from a coupe.
Assuming that you have a coupe and not a convertible that is. I thought I saw an NOS one for the convertible on Ebay in my search link though just in case that you do have a convertible car.

Registered
Well don't keep us in suspense. What is the possible $10 alternative? Lol Seriously though, it may help others who come across this thread in a search in a similar situation.
Sorry if I offended anyone, I am a old timer so let me explain:
I was trying to reg a 1979-80 TR8 convert that was shipped from England where I was stationed in 1979, I had to special order and BL converted a TR7 Convert. because TR8 was only available as a hard top. I was not able to past the smog (Visual and Sniff) of CA. The TR8 had a 3.5L Alum (Buick 215) Engine which keep over heating and blowing head gaskets. What I found was a the "Charcoal Canister Assembly" had oil inside,
White Product Font Line Auto part

This a pic of the TR7 (#39)
White Organism Gesture Font Line
This a pic of the TR8 (#TKC 1331) with 2 "Charcoal Canister Assembly"

This is what I had to do, As you can see there is an "OUTPUT (Vacuum side)" and "INPUT (Engine side)" at the bottom is where the Canister (Plastic) is welded together. I removed the Canisters then using a hair blower and a very thin flat head screw diver separated the bottom half from the main body. What I found was Charcoal fill with oil and something like a fine hair net, Sorry I don't pics.this was back in 1984. The "Engine" side went all the way down while the "Vacuum" side just slightly pasting thru on top. It looked like Charcoal I used in my fish filter, so I went to my local pet store and purchase a bag of the Charcoal for my Fish filter. I then replace the old oil contaminated Charcoal and refill with the new Charcoal then epoxy the two half together. The TR8 past the sniff test.

Office supplies Cylinder Magenta Metal Auto part Gas Cylinder Office supplies Auto part Metal

If you look at the Mustang "Charcoal Canister Assembly" there is also a separation and I would assume there is the same as the TR7-8 "Charcoal Canister Assembly" Charcoal inside. By separating remove and replace the Charcoal then epoxy back together I believe may alleviate the Smog test issue.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
I finially gave up on the TR8 3.5L engine back in 1985-6.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't won or bought any yet....very curious to hear your alternative. 馃榿

I haven't won or bought any yet....very curious to hear your alternative. 馃榿
Sorry just now saw your VERY through answer! Thanks a bunch 馃槂

Registered
If you have physical damage to any of the parts that you need his fix won't work. However, if it was just a emissions pass issue then if you can get someone to take yours apart and refill it then perhaps it might.

Registered
If you have physical damage to any of the parts that you need his fix won't work. However, if it was just a emissions pass issue then if you can get someone to take yours apart and refill it then perhaps it might.
Something I learn from past experiences " If you have the imagination and you have the will anything can be Possible" Broken pieces can be replace or reconstructed then Epoxied or Welded (Plastic Welding Gun or a Soldering iron) back together.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Albert Einstein
Product Font Tool Cable Auto part Light Product Font Material property Auto part

Add:
Actually my Favorite is:
Wisdom comes from Experience and Experience comes from making Mistake. So for Us to Gain Wisdom we have to make Mistakes.
鈥淪plinter鈥 TMNT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts