Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was looking at the Tom Morana 4.0 products, and they have 4.0 flat top pistons and rods that were used for 150 bucks. They claim to yield 25 to 30 hp....Is this viable? Do you think this would at least add some "zip" to my car, I mean i doubt it would add 30 hp, but at least make my stang run faster? And also can you guys look at their camshafts they have? Here's the link: Tom Morana Racing Engines

And also post any recommendations from that website. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I would go with supersixmotorsports.com
I have never heard anything good about Tom Morana products.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
shute, its nice just to see some hi-po parts for the v6. i hope the market opens up more and more parts become available. its looking like tom is into the 4.0`s :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
954 Posts
I would not install a used piston in my engine.
I hope not, the 4.0's might not fit so well in that 4.6 of yours:happyhapp:happyhapp

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol yeah i was wondering the same about used pistons lol. But yeah I was interested in those cams, there was the SOHC camshaft with .262" stock lift and it says longer duration.

Then theres the "performane cam" that says for OHV engines and many regrinds available (don't know what regrind means) and there's the performance cam that is for OHC engines that is a little less.....any help on this?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Before you go ripping your engine apart and swapping in pieces you should try a set of gears and an intake/tune combo. It'll really wake up your car. An aftermarket muffler (or a modest dual setup) is a good place to start as well. If that still doesn't do it for you then add an aftermarket coil/wires and an aluminum driveshaft to lighten things up a bit.

Between an aftermarket exhaust setup (be it single or dual) and an intake/tune you should gain 25-30 horsepower. And you wont have to go tearing up your motor or buying shady used parts. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Before you go ripping your engine apart and swapping in pieces you should try a set of gears and an intake/tune combo. It'll really wake up your car. An aftermarket muffler (or a modest dual setup) is a good place to start as well. If that still doesn't do it for you then add an aftermarket coil/wires and an aluminum driveshaft to lighten things up a bit.

Between an aftermarket exhaust setup (be it single or dual) and an intake/tune you should gain 25-30 horsepower. And you wont have to go tearing up your motor or buying shady used parts. :bigthumbsup
+1 good advise for sure. i wouldnt mess with any one thing of those unless i was doing a complete rebuild in which case i would want every hi-po part i could find. :) ( and a second job to pay for them)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I would stay away from Morano, I'm not pleased with there service, and several others I've talked to have had even worse experiences

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i'm adding dual exhaust here in a couple weeks ( or whenever the damn body shop calls me that they're ready to fix my bumper!) And then I'll get a CAI with tune later....I was just wondering about these things but yeah thanks for the good advice! Someday I was looking to MAYBE install turbo, but not enough to blow apart my engine lol, and people said I might need to make my engine a lil stronger so that's why I was looking at supersix and Tom Morano. Supersix looks better to me. But heads are like 1800 bucks lol....maybe when my engine gets more miles on it I would do that, because that's what some people are telling me.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
BTW be careful Jfish07Stang those pistons are for earlier ohv engines, our 4.0's are sohc, dont always buy stuff based on the title, read the details and descriptions too

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok yeah I see that now, thanks man

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would not install a used piston in my engine.

I dont think they are used
it says "they are good to be used in..."

:shigrin

·
Registered
174 Posts
Personally I Have Had 5.0s My Entire Life And This Is My First v6. I Am A young Guy But My Brother In Law Spent A great Deal Of years Racing With Morana And kickn About His Shop, I Even Worked With His kid Across The Street And I Am Definatly Giving Him A Call When I have some Free Cash.......I Dont Know How Much You guys Know About Him But There Is Something To be Said and Learned From A Guy That Ran mid To high 12s With A 3.8v6 in A Fox Chasis Car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.