Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '65 Mustang coupe has a 289 2bl w/ automatic trans. & original air conditioner. The original 3 core radiator checked OK, I even replaced the thermostat twice, water pump checks out OK and the block was flushed out. It still has some cooling problem on a hot day(75 +) or slow traffic. It has the original 5 blade fan which is approx. 2" from the radiator. Would a 6 blade fan improve much, and should I space the fan closer to the radiator? Would a 4 core help and how much?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Do you have a shroud installed for the fan to help pull air through the core?

·
Registered
25,098 Posts
:wavey Enjoy the site :happydancer:​

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Thanks for stopping by today.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Yes I have the original shroud.
Ok, then I can add this:

1. Is the fan more than 3/4 of the way inside the shroud? If not, then it needs to be closer to the radiator.

2. What is the actual temperature getting to? I never just trust a gage.

3. I had a 3 core on my 65 2+2 in Florida and I really don't recall an issue with the temp, so I don't think you have to go 4 core just yet.

4. Before you get another fan, look up info on SPAL brand fans and controllers. They have a lot of terrific products and can actually reduce the drag off of the front of that 289 by converting it to an electric model. Of course, if you are really more of a concourse-leaning type, this would not be an option for you.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Hiya, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
:wavey welcome to the forums. are you sure the radiator is clean and flowing good? just holding pressure doesnt mean much. it could have plugged passages. you might want to pull the water pump and check out the impeller too. you shouldnt have any problems with the stock setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.