Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking on the late model restoration site and noticed something.

i see that BBk makes alot of intake manifold gaskets for various upper and lower manifold combos like edelbrock upper + GT40 lower, cobra lower + trick flow upper, BBK upper + 5.0 etc

my question is in your opinion, experience or factual information, what is the best upper and lower manifold combo for the best breathing for the 5.0 or 5.8 engine?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
depends on the rest of the combo and the primary needs(low end power or high rpm power)

short runner intakes make more high rpm power,but usually sacrifice low end power to do so...

long runners are the opposite,good low end but fizzle out in the high rpm ranges...

5.0 and 5.8 lower intakes are not compatible,the 351 block is much wider than the 302 block

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
the best one is the one that best suits the intended use of the engine

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess more info is needed about what i plan to do in the future of my mustang.

i know for sure i wanna move up to the 5.8L roller rocker engine and i'm more concerned with having a powerful street car instead of having a drag car. i wanna build it to be fast in the corners instead of 1320 strip. i wanna build a road course / time attack style car that i can take on 1100 mile trips comfortably and not lose my a$$ when it comes to gas milage.

and in the far future, i wanna boost it with the roots type supercharger found on the 97 lightning then i'll be happy.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Listen what you want is something that will give you good gas mileage, that will be good one a 302 and a 351 and that will work with a roots supercharger....

Trying to get power and gas mielage is a very tough marriage and one will have to sacrifice so the other prospers.

Getting a manifold for a 302 is what you should do if you are building a 302. Now if you are building a 351 stroker and have 427 ci then another manifold is needed. Try to focus on what your building as sooooo many people want something that will work with everything and still make great HP. The 302 lower manifolds will not work with the 351 lowers as the 5.8 is wider.

Also when swapping to a roots typer charger some come with a lower already so you might not even use the manifold you have already.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
power and gas mileage isn't always a tough marriage. you can build a wolf that acts like a sheep when your not putting your foot in it. ;) thats the power of standalone computers and good tuning. this question is about the 5.8 i wanna build in the future.

the 5.0 i have now i'm just trying to get back to it's factory specs. maybe then i can do some mild bolt-ons just to learn the engine and car more. maybe with the manifold combos. i will keep this one N/A

i want a set-up like the lighting has. i think thats a 5.8 right? i have yet to do research on it.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
That lightning is a 5.4 mod motor and I have seen one in a fox and it was HUGE!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
:hijacked: So what would a EFI Edelbrock performer 5.0 intake be considered, long or short runner. Tks

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thread pirates!!!

i just saw pics of a side by side comparison of the 5.0 HO lower, 5.0 truck lower and 351 lower. looks like the lower of the 5.0 truck manifold would be ideal on a 302, but what upper would fit that and flow good too? i guess the truck 5.0 upper lol but besides that what would be good combos?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3315/3235543712_67dc8eb7d7.jpg

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
the 351w in the first gen lightning wasnt all that great..it was a 5.8 pushrod 351w with cast iron GT40 heads and a GT40 intake..big deal:kooky:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i meant to say the 1999+ lighting set-up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts