Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are way too many oil products and choices for your car it is almost confusing. Cars are expensive and so is the up keep. I am like eveyone else and I work too hard to waste money. But I want to buy the right product for my car to make it last. It is very hard to decide on the 5W-20 or the 5W-30. I know Ford "RECOMMENDS" 5W-20. I am leaning towards a 5W-30 or 0W-30 next change. You do want the 0W or 5W for when the oil is cold for a good start up circulation. The 20 or 30 weight viscosity does not come into play at start up - it comes into factor when the oil is hot. I hear also by using the 20 weight there is up to 30% more engine wear than by using 30 weight. Also which brand of oil to use. I do prefer a good synthetic but now I hear some synthetics because of government loop holes can be advertised as "Synthetic" but are truely not 100% - they are called a Group III Petroleum based synthetic and they are cheaper to make but still can label as synthetic. Your true Synthetics is your Group IV PAO synthetic and the only 2 true group IV I can find right now is Amsoil and Mobil 1. I am sure there must be more Group IV but if you want a true Synthetic I guess it is important to read labels to find out if you are getting a Group III or Group IV Synthetic. Also do you stretch these oils to 12 months/ 10,000? I would think with a good filter or at least if nothing else change the filter at the 1/2 way point of 6 months/5,000. Then you can just top off a little oil with what you lose in the filter. The reason I feel you can extend the oil change that long is only because 8 quarts is a lot of oil. Look at the cars of yesteryear when they only contained 4 quarts. Even BMW does not have 8 quarts and the dealer won't change it until 13 months/15,000. The bottom line is no matter who you ask everyone will have a diffent view so all I can say is at least with the internet we can do a whole lot more research (that is how I found out about the Group III and Group IV Synthetics) and then make your best choice. Happy Motoring and like me I hope you find the best for your car and a long motor:bigthumbsup life.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm not sure about yours(what year is it?) but my manual says to use only 6qts of oil not 8.

Royal Purple is good oil:bigthumbsup. Amsoil seems to have a very loyal (and Vocal) following, but I still use good old Mobil 1 5w 20. I will do a change at every 3-4 thousand but I'm crazy when it comes to that:gringreen People have told me to go to at least 6-7 K.

I'd rather have a ton of choices available. If there were only 3 brands what incentive would they have to improve? Don't over think it. If you go with a big name full syn your car will be fine. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
307 Posts
As far as oil weight, The way the 3V phases its cams it uses very exacting oil pressure and seleniods that assume the oil is of a specific weight. therefore using a heavier oil will interfere with the VCT operation. All though I know you're talking about a lighter weight, it seems the recommended oil viscosity is there for a reason.
As far as brands, wether synthetic or not, I'm not running 10K between oil changes Oil is the life blood of the motor, why risk it? Any major brand I believe is okay in regaurds also. I tend to use Castrol, I always have and always will, I've never had a related issue with it. I would say not to worry so much over it, buy a good brand oil, a motorcraft or better filter and proceed to enjoy your ride:bigthumbsup

Also, like Chris said, what year is your car? Mine also holds 6 quarts not 8. Careful not to overfill, it can cause problems all the same.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I hear also by using the 20 weight there is up to 30% more engine wear than by using 30 weight.
That's amusing. Will actually cause approximately 0% more engine wear. :yup:

You must have heard that from the same guy who told me that if I pull less weight at work I'll see up to 30% more pay.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
That's amusing. Will actually cause approximately 0% more engine wear. :yup:

You must have heard that from the same guy who told me that if I pull less weight at work I'll see up to 30% more pay.

I had a feeling once you chimed in it would be quite amusing. :shigrin

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
the total capacity may be 8qts but its 6 qts you put into it during an oil change.

A motorcraft FL-820S and 6 qts of Mobil 1 5w-20 is what i use everytime :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've been using the Ford Motorcraft 5w 20 oil and filter, but I've only put a couple thousand miles on my car so far. Mine also takes 6 qts.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
I figure a little overkill is a good thing when you're talking about engine oil . . . my thoughts:

- stick to the recommended weight -- 5W-20. I know there is some controversy around this, with the heavier viscosity supposedly being "better" and some say that Ford is sacrificing life in favor of fleet fuel efficiency . . . . but wear has to do with lubricity not viscosity, and see point below

- use a good, proven, synthetic oil -- I like Mobil 1 ; I have been using it for a long time ; it might not be the "best" but it is certainly very good . . . and if there are any concerns about the relatively light viscosity, use a good synthetic and it should calm that fear. Yes it might be a LITTLE more expensive, but that added cost is really very small when you look at the big picture of what it costs to own and operate these vehicles.

- change the oil per the schedule or sooner. Even though the Mobil 1 is supposed to be good for 10,000 miles, I change mine about every 5,000 (or when the oil life meter says it is due, or sooner) In the big scheme of things the cost of an extra oil change here and there is quite small, I look at it as "cheap insurance"

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I use 6 quarts of 5w20 Mobil 1. You can get a 5 qt jug at WalMart for about $23. I do use a Mobil 1 oil filter too. Supposed to be one of the best oil filters you can buy. Motorcraft is rated pretty good too. I go 6-7K between oil changes. I believe any synthetic oil will serve you well so pick one and don't give it a second thought.

Stick with the recommended viscosity. Any difference could cost you a warranty claim.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
This whole oil thing is blown way out of proportion. The motor in our cars is also a TRUCK MOTOR!

My lease F-150 before my last had a 5.4L 3v in it (same motor as the Mustang but not quite as “nice”) and I did the first oil change at 10K miles. Then never changed it again and turned it into Ford with 55K miles on it. I added 1qt of oil before I turned it in. And half of its miles were in front of a 8000lb trailer going 75-80mph. It didn’t blow smoke, smell funny, make any noise, never lost power……..nothing.

Taking the above into account I think its safe to say that if you use the recommended oil and change it at the recommended intervals your motor will be just fine.:bigthumbsup Anything more than that is a bonus.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
This whole oil thing is blown way out of proportion.

I think its safe to say that if you use the recommended oil and change it at the recommended intervals your motor will be just fine.:bigthumbsup Anything more than that is a bonus.
Agreed. :bigthumbsup

I am a proponent of synthetics in hi-po applications, but I blew about 100 posts a couple weeks ago trying to convince some holier-than-thou nincompoop(s) over on the 2011+ side that what you said above really is the plain and simple gospel.

(sorry for the foul language again, and yeah, guess I had nothing better to do those few days...)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Agreed. :bigthumbsup

I am a proponent of synthetics in hi-po applications, but I blew about 100 posts a couple weeks ago trying to convince some holier-than-thou nincompoop(s) over on the 2011+ side that what you said above really is the plain and simple gospel.

(sorry for the foul language again, and yeah, guess I had nothing better to do those few days...)

Jesus? Was that only 100 posts? Felt more like 100,000!!! :yup:

And BTW, that thread just keeps coming back. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Jesus? Was that only 100 posts? Felt more like 100,000!!! :yup:

And BTW, that thread just keeps coming back. :hihi:
Maybe it was more than 100, I lost track after about 25 pages, lol.

Damn, that thread is still going on?? Guess I ignored it long enough I don't get notified of updates about it anymore. Hard to believe SO many people with 2011+ Mustangs have nothing better to talk / argue about than engine oil....like their new babies will keel over and drop dead if they don't use such and such an oil changed at X intervals.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Maybe it was more than 100, I lost track after about 25 pages, lol.

Damn, that thread is still going on?? Guess I ignored it long enough I don't get notified of updates about it anymore. Hard to believe SO many people with 2011+ Mustangs have nothing better to talk / argue about than engine oil....like their new babies will keel over and drop dead if they don't use such and such an oil changed at X intervals.

Are you kidding? What can be more stimulating than debating the certifications, labels and stocks of amsoil vs mobil1? :winks

I will say UB surprised me, he recommended amsoil or mobil1. Wonders never cease!:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm living in Monaco (France) and in Europe it's quite impossible to find 05w20 oil !!!! As due to US anti terrorism regulation it's as well impossible to have shipped oil cans by airplanes, we have to stick to 05w30 oil viscosity !!! My Mustang is a 2005 model and I'm not anxious about feeding the engine with Mobil 1 05w30 every 5000 miles or earlier ! Car has been "modified" with a lot of Steeda parts and Steeda technicians told me that they recomend this oil viscosity on their modified engines, like Shelby does on his cars !!! So to me these endless discussions on oil viscosity seems more than a psychologiq problem !!!!:kooky::gringreen

·
Registered
63 Posts
this can go on forever but the best two brands that people always discuss is royal purple and mobil 1. just bought some mobil 1 and going to change the spark plugs this week :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts