Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!!:wavey
I need help,:headscratch: I notice gray smoke on the tail pipes on my stang I adjust my carb hoping I was running rich no dice,so I plan to replace the valve stem on 289 engine my question is.
Do I need a special tool to remove and replace the stem's,on the valves or you just pull them out and push them back in place by hand.
I know all the steps to remove the rocker-arms the spring the position of the valves air on the cylinder and the adjustment on rocker-arms.
Advice appreciated THX.:shiny:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Before you start, have you diagnosed the problem corectly.
The usual symptom of failing valve stem seals is, a puff of oil smoke when you start the engine. More noticable when hot after being being stopped for a short time.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
What you would be replacing is the valve stem SEALS, not the stems. The stem is the long cylindrical part of each valve; the seals go around the stems. The original style seals were little rubber umbrellas that just push on/pull off. There are other more positive types of seals which might be harder to do but the stock ones are easy once the valve spring is out of the way. Pressurizing the cylinder, etc., to keep the valve from falling into the cylinder is the hardest part of the job.

The adjustment on the carb is for idle only. If a rich mixture is causing the gray smoke deposit then it would more likely be caused by the main jets. Compared to all the exhaust that comes out of the pipes the amount of idle exhaust is a pretty small fraction. All the jet recommendations for the 60s were on the rich side since emission controls had barely been thought about. You may not have a problem at all provided you buy a can of chrome polish. A light gray color on/in the pipes is what was expected. Having a pipe remain clean on the inside is a 90s thing that was unheard of before catalytic converters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts