Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some great weight reduction ideas for the s197s? s197s are a bit heavy and need a good diet imo. since mines a DD, and i regularly have passengers...rear seat delete isnt an option. just looking to put my stang on a diet and get it trimmed up for the track next week. also yes yes i know..lose the 20s blah blah blah. im going to swap back to my stock wheels for the track...if they fit over my caliper covers.(dont think they will tho) im going to stop by the farm co op and see if theyll let me weigh it on the scales...haha. id like to know what its got with me in it.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
^^+1 :D

Removing the spare tire and jack will help, and if you have the shakker 1000, removing the subs and amp in the trunk will help as well.
I don't know how much as I haven't removed mine to weigh them, but I would think it would be at least a hundred pounds.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Remove the 20" wheels and swap with light weight 17"s

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the shaker is a good idea..like i said tho DD. i totally forgot about the tire and jack. thats a must

S

·
0 Posts
the shaker is a good idea..like i said tho DD. i totally forgot about the tire and jack. that's a must
You should be able to just unplug the shaker and take it out for track time, then put it back in when you're done. I had the subs out for some reason (I think it may have been when I put in my sequentials) and they just unplug from the amp and are held into the car with a few bolts.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Rotational mass is always the best. That includes items like wheels, and drive shaft . I also changed out the radiator support, with the Steeda radiator support. It allows you to keep the front sway bar or not. I like that option. These are great for DD. Now for the track , take out the passanger`s seat, back seats,trunk carpet, jack,and spare . You could remove the front sway bar. I do not, I like having that stability at the big end of the track. You loose it at 117 or more ,you can kiss you ass good bye.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Ditch the "witch" and leave the baby seat with her!:lol:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha...true^^^ the DS is in my future. im just planning on takin it to the track for the 1st time this year next week. if i get my 8.8 in time

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
carry a SEALED 5 gallon container of gas to the track.
race with 1/4 tank or less to prevent most slosh

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, i usually race on 1/4 tank...actually a 1/8th if i can. gas station right down the road haha. with the 3:73s whattya think itll run? i havent run it since it was stock..and that was 15.9 with a rt of .081

·
Registered
194 Posts
I second the post about light weight wheels and tires. It's not cheap, but the gains are solid. I have some 18X8 inch cast O.Z. wheels going on this Friday, they're 19 lbs a wheel. That's 6 pounds less than 18 inch Bullitts!

Total weight for each wheel and 255/45R18 tire is 48 lbs, that's 2 lbs less than 17 inch wheels and 235/55R17 tires. Forged wheels weight even less, maybe 17 lbs.

Straight through exhaust, like FRPP Stingers (Borlas) save 16 lbs on a GT, I believe (maybe more, it's significant, though). Remove the spare tire (33.6 lbs) and replace the mufflers and you've already dropped almost 50 lbs.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm..got a link on those fenders? pre painted?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Fill up to 1/8 to 1/4 (2 to 4 gallons) of your tank at a time.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nvm, its like 900 a fender, and only loses 7 pounds each. im good

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you lose all that weight in the back end, you will lose some traction.. so relocate your battery back there to help transfer that weight to the rear wheels..

Of course, if you are racing, you don't need passenger and rear seats.. that must be at least 20 lbs, maybe up to 30.. only takes a few minutes to pull them out too..

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Screw weight reduction if the car is a DD.. Removing the spare/and jack from the rear made me run slower, i did not catch as good of traction..

I tried it one night for the track, never again.. I say just get more power mods done to the car and put smaller rims/tires on it.. Go from there?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Screw weight reduction if the car is a DD.. Removing the spare/and jack from the rear made me run slower, i did not catch as good of traction..

I tried it one night for the track, never again.. I say just get more power mods done to the car and put smaller rims/tires on it.. Go from there?
Maybe because you do not have CHE lca`s and UCA.lol:laugh: Drag radials help so much with traction. You got to have the whole package. I am huanting you ,LMAO.:laugh:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Maybe because you do not have CHE lca`s and UCA.lol:laugh: Drag radials help so much with traction. You got to have the whole package. I am huanting you ,LMAO.:laugh:
haha i swear i can't get away from you, you find me in every thread!! JP!:bigthumbsup Yeah i should get the LCA/UCA.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.