Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 66 FB that came with a c4 but I'm gonna go with a four speed, sometime in the past someone hung a pedal in it and since it will cost 700 bucks or better to rebuild the c4 and I wanted a stick anyway I'm going with the manual, I know I could upgrade to a five speed but I kinda want to keep it semi-correct anyway. My question is, is there any differences in top loaders? Did they come in different sizes, were small block and big block ones the same and will certain years fit where others won't? What else will I have to look out for in doing the swap? Help is appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) The input shaft is different on big blocks and small blocks, so, if the top loader comes out of a car that had a big block you would have to swap that out.Also, the tail section is different for different models of cars.A fairlane top loader has a longer tail section than a mustang, for example.The place where the shifter bolts up is also in a couple of different places, so you would need to have one with a mustang tail section.It would have to be either one that was bult for a small block mustang or one that somebody converted.Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Veronica that is a huge help...do you have any idea on what part numbers to look for? I'd hate to buy something I couldn't use. Again thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
360 Posts
Try looking at this site--->Top Loaders He has lots of info on id numbers of Top Loaders and what they were originally in. There are two different gear spreads, a wide and a close ratio. It would seem that the wide ratio would be best suited for normal driving. I would expect to pay somewhere in the range of $300-$700 for a used or rebuilt Top Loader. :wavey

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help checked the site out looks like a good one.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.