Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so as the title states i went from the top of 2nd gear into 1st and let the clutch out pretty fast tires barked twice engine revved like a mofo. this was a week ago now today its running like it has a miss or the timing is off, i thought it was old gas so i filled up and it did the same thing afterwards. played with the timing and the accel pump on the carb thinking maybe it was leaning out but no change.

it still runs and drives fine no noises etc, just not as fast as it was previously like i said runs like its missing or is restricted. no milkshake mess on the dipstick or in the coolant, but there is a mist/smoke coming out of the pass side breather/filler cap.

rebuilt 306 HCI swap edel 600 carb comp cam double roller timing chain.

im going to do a comp check, but what do you guys think it could be? bent valve? piston ring? if you need more details just say the word

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how involved of a fix? just swap out the valves with new ones?

·
Registered
912 Posts
its possible it could have left some kind of damage on the piston if it kissed the valves, the only way to tell is to tear it down, but if only the valve is damaged you can swap out valves

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im gonna run a comp check on it hopefully tomorrow, and hopefully the valve guides are still good and nothing else is damaged

·
Registered
511 Posts
how involved of a fix? just swap out the valves with new ones?
it depends if your valves did any damage when they contacted the pistons (if it is in fact bent valves). If it does turn out to be valve then new guides would be a smart thing to do since the heads will be out of the car and stripped anyways.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also gonna do a tune up a racing buddy said it may be a timing ignition issue as well by how i described the symptoms, but comp check first

1 - 7 of 7 Posts