Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88GT making about 600rwhp.The car is set up for top end racing.I am looking to get a new tranny and have narrowed my choices to a G-Force T-5 or a T-56.I am currently running 3.73 gears.The T-5 is available with a .59 ratio 5th gear and the T-56 has .63 or .50 for the viper spec in 6th.Which tranny will give me more top end

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I would think that the T-56 with its 6th gear will allow you to get more out of the motor.

Your making 600hp with what you have listed in your signature?

·
Registered
148 Posts
When you say top end - do you mean something like road racing top end or drag racing top end?

I agree with Stonecold the 6 speed will keep the engine in the optimal powerband.
The .50 final gear ratio of the viper spec will give the highest top end speed, but I dont think it would be great for keeping the engine in its sweet spot, especially when shifting from 5th to 6th. I think it would drop the rpms lower than you'd want (kinda hard to say though with 3.73's). I doubt that one would be good for drag racing. IMHO the 6sp .63 I would use for road racing and the 5sp .59 would be better for drag racing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Closed road street racing I'm shooting for the 180-190mph range

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.