Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Quick question, thinking terribly hard about buying 3.73 gears for my 2005 automatic mustang gt. Will i lose top speed if i get these? Everyone i asked said that you would get better top speed but i can't see how this would be possible. How much harder on gas would it be? I do a lot of highway driving which is why i am not getting the 4.10's
Thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You will not loose top speed. These cars are limited to 145-150. You will not run out of gear. In fact with 27" tires and 4.10s at 170 MPH your RPMs will be 6200. With 3.73 at 6200 RPMs your MPH will be 187.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Here we go again!:gringreen

It seems this kind of thing comes up once a week. In short, NO! You will not lose any top speed on this particular vehicle.

It is possible to lose top speed by swaping gears, but you'd have to go much steeper than a 4.10. On a car where the top speed is over 200mph you may lose some top speed.

I have 4.10s on my 06 auto. I had my car doing 135mph on a closed air strip and the only thing that limited my speed was me chickening out:winks I had plenty room on the tach for more!

With my set up (4.10s, 93oct bama tunes, JLT cold air) I still average between 23-26MPG on the highway at 65-70mph.

IMO, you wouldn't gain much MPG from the 3.73 vs the 4.10. Some, but not much.

I dont have personal experience with 3.73s, but from what I got from my 4.10s I think you'd be happy with them considering you're going from a 3.31. If you'd be happy with 22-26 mpg pure highway, the 4.10s are an option.:bigthumbsup

Dont forget, you'll need a tuner to fix that speedo:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will not loose top speed. These cars are limited to 145-150. You will not run out of gear. In fact with 27" tires and 4.10s at 170 MPH your RPMs will be 6200. With 3.73 at 6200 RPMs your MPH will be 187.
Thanks for quick response, one more quick question, How much is the install for the gears, because i defiantly won't be putting them on myself lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
On a car with nothing but a Bama tune. My car went beyond the speedo once... So somewhere north of 150...

that was with 3.33.

or so my friend told me... *cough cough*

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Thanks for quick response, one more quick question, How much is the install for the gears, because i defiantly won't be putting them on myself lol
I am not sure how much it will be up in Canada but three yrs ago I paid $285 for labor. $250-400 is about the avg price.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I paid quite a bit. Total for parts and labor it costed me $718.

The gears were $159 on the reciept, so you can see I paid a lot for install. But that also includes all oils and lubes and friction modifiers and gaskets, etc. And I was happy knowing it was going to get done right.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I know I won't be getting gears for my 04 GTO. Gears alone are nearly $500.

·
Registered
784 Posts
i dont think you need to worry about how fast you can go, top end wise. you will never need to go over 75 on the highway or over 150 in the 1/4

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I know I won't be getting gears for my 04 GTO. Gears alone are nearly $500.

Tell me about it! I did some searching for my cousin's 06 GTO and the only 4.10s I could find were like $800+. I found some 3.90s for around $500.

Was this always the case? Or has the aftermarket dried up since GM installed a Pontiac Delete?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Tell me about it! I did some searching for my cousin's 06 GTO and the only 4.10s I could find were like $800+. I found some 3.90s for around $500.

Was this always the case? Or has the aftermarket dried up since GM installed a Pontiac Delete?
I think it has always been the case. Supposedly they have to be imported from Australia. Supposed, Richmond is or was working on making them.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
. . . Everyone i asked said that you would get better top speed but i can't see how this would be possible. . . .
this is possible if the lower gearing puts the engine in the "sweet spot" just as it is reaching the drag limit, versus the higher gearing which could drop the engine down out of its powerband at the same speed . . . I don't know the specifics for this car, but it is possible

·
Registered
594 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts