Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have done the searches and found diddly...

What is the top speed on the Mustang, with a tuner? Remove the 145MPH governor and it goes how fast?

Everyone is asking me how fast it goes. I can tell them "It pulls like mad, right up to 145, then the computer shuts you down and won't let you go faster."

Lame.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can't really answer that question, but I would like to know also. I've been 140+ in mine and backed off with it still pullin hard!! Speedo only goes to 145, so how would you know??

·
Registered
622 Posts
TSMagnum said:
Can't really answer that question, but I would like to know also. I've been 140+ in mine and backed off with it still pullin hard!! Speedo only goes to 145, so how would you know??
data logger... by the way, you guys goin' down hill with a tailwind? I can't get mine past 135(ish), and it takes forever to get there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In my SCT software it can be set for 250MPH

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Evolution said:
You might be able to set it that fast, it dosen't mean it can go that fast.
I would have to see that to believe it.

·
Registered
914 Posts
in another thread a long long time ago, there was a link to an article where some group took a GT - I don't remember if they made mods or not - but they removed the mirrors, taped up the hood and door edges, basically covering up as much resistance as possible. They did at least remove the top speed limiter and the car would not get above 180 I beleive - basically that is all the body style, frame, drive-train could do. At those speeds wind resistance gets to be much more of a factor than say normal freeway speeds.

As for the 250 mph - even with the power to push it, doubtful the body aerodynamics would allow you to. Even though we all do drive the best looking car in the world, it really is not all that aerodynamic when compared to cars like Corvettes, Porches, or any of the others which have higher top speeds.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I saw a Vortech ad in March '06 MMFF mag they did what you are describing (the tape and removal stuff) and made 192 mph. It is about 6 page flips into the magazine.

HeiMa said:
in another thread a long long time ago, there was a link to an article where some group took a GT - I don't remember if they made mods or not - but they removed the mirrors, taped up the hood and door edges, basically covering up as much resistance as possible. They did at least remove the top speed limiter and the car would not get above 180 I beleive - basically that is all the body style, frame, drive-train could do. At those speeds wind resistance gets to be much more of a factor than say normal freeway speeds.

As for the 250 mph - even with the power to push it, doubtful the body aerodynamics would allow you to. Even though we all do drive the best looking car in the world, it really is not all that aerodynamic when compared to cars like Corvettes, Porches, or any of the others which have higher top speeds.

·
Registered
914 Posts
That may very will be the article I am thinking of - thanks for the correction on the speed and mods good sir. :rolleyes:

Either way, I don't think it's going to be easy to break 200 mph with this body, but I still LOVE it!!! :worship

Gig4Fun said:
I saw a Vortech ad in March '06 MMFF mag they did what you are describing (the tape and removal stuff) and made 192 mph. It is about 6 page flips into the magazine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Really hehe, makes me wonder if that video I saw of a motorcycle goin like 290 mph was really MPH or Kilometers..
anyways I saw a mustang for sale before that said broke world record and hit 200 mph was the previous body style tho..

·
Registered
76 Posts
oh that vortech!

Yep, that vortech did 192 and was clocked officially, it was up for sale on Ebay before Christmas, did anyone here buy it?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I remember seeing somewhere that in stock trim, with the limiter removed, the GT had enough HP and gearing to (just) get in the 160s, given enough room.

I haven't found enough room locally to get over 120. Sigh.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Evolution said:
The John Force edition software gives you almost 320MPH.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
The 192 MPH mustang is the one Vortech built for the 1 mile race... was in a mag a few months ago...

I can't believe Vortech is selling their car on Ebay...??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Based upon the fairly poor aero, cd about .34 and 300 h.p., give or take a little, the GT coupe should be about 153-157 m.p.h. and the vert less.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Car and Driver reports 149 MPH.
Maximum-cars.com reports 150MPH
musclemustangfastfords reports 145MPH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts