Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ford Toploader HEH-A 4 speed....Seems to shift ok but reverse is over to left then toward the front of the car.....How can that be....I thought it was left then back toward rear of car?,,,Also it is hard to get in reverse...I have to "nudge" the center of shifter with a hammer.....This has been sitting for 20 years,,is the linkage wrong? what gives?

1626880686753.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
Welcome mike, and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.

We’re glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Ford Toploader HEH-A 4 speed....Seems to shift ok but reverse is over to left then toward the front of the car.....How can that be....I thought it was left then back toward rear of car?,,,Also it is hard to get in reverse...I have to "nudge" the center of shifter with a hammer.....This has been sitting for 20 years,,is the linkage wrong? what gives?

View attachment 781303
These shifters use a "Rig Pin" hole to set up proper shift movement of the rods. Disconnect shift rods from shifter assy. Put shifter in neutral, In the main body of the shifter there is a hole aprox. 1/8 in dia. Find a drill or rod of that size ( Ford provided these and called them " rig pins" as well as Hurst did also. Put pin through shifter. This holds shifter in neutral. Now re-adjust all rods as ness. to attach to shifter without binding. Use washers where ness. to keep rods snug onto shifter. Lube with oil and re-test.
'

These shifters use a "Rig Pin" hole to set up proper shift movement of the rods. Disconnect shift rods from shifter assy. Put shifter in neutral, In the main body of the shifter there is a hole aprox. 1/8 in dia. Find a drill or rod of that size ( Ford provided these and called them " rig pins" as well as Hurst did also. Put pin through shifter. This holds shifter in neutral. Now re-adjust all rods as ness. to attach to shifter without binding. Use washers where ness. to keep rods snug onto shifter. Lube with oil and re-test.
'
PS. the shift pattern is correct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts