Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - new to the forum and just bought my first project. 65 coupe with a 302, supercharger and more fun under the hood. The previous owner put a rebuilt 4 speed toploader in and I am confused about the shift pattern. This is made slightly more complicated by the fact that the clutch is installed but without a linkage yet.

I was assuming that the shift pattern would be a variant of the standard H pattern. From my initial experiments it seems to be more of a linear pattern. Additionally the shift lever has a rectangular cross section rather than the round cross section I am used to.

Thoughts? Appreciate it!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
It should be a standard H pattern, mine has reverse to the far left and back toward you, you should have a reverse lock-out lever (a T shaped lever under the knob or handle) on the shifter to be able to go into reverse, if it is shifting in a pattern that is not a perfect H, and it has the stock shifter then the shifter rods need to be centered in neutral, this is done with a 1/4" drill bit or bolt through a alignment hole in the shifter, then all the rods are loosened and see if they are truly in neutral. Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
...if it is shifting in a pattern that is not a perfect H, and it has the stock shifter then the shifter rods need to be centered in neutral...
Another possibility is that the shifter internals are worn out. That can lead to really strange shift patterns when, and if, it will shift at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chuck you may be right. It is definitely a Hurst. What is the shift pattern with the vertical gate? Straight back for 1-4? Reverse and neutral?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Google helped out by essentially telling me that the vertigate is great for the track but sucks on the street. Looks like I will be swapping it out. Any suggestions on a shifter for a toploader in a 65?

Thanks again:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Why not go with a rebuilt original toploader shifter ? Bill Heeley in Olney Maryland is the "king" of Toploadr shifters for all fords. Call him up and he can fix you up with eveything you need.

BILL HEELEY

OLNEY, MARYLAND
240-449-0635

Bill's even got an ebay store
Mustang 4 speed 3 speed, Cobra items in Vintage Ford Manual Shifters store on eBay!

Your other options would be a Hurst set up.

Just make sure you do ni fact have a toploader tranny. I think some 65's also had T10's as well

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a Hurst Competition Plus in mine and it works great. My car doesn't have a console but I seem to recall that the comp + did not fit console cars. Can't remember for sure.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hurst Compition plus series for 65 - 66 Mustang is as follows;

Shifter # 3813180
Installation kit # 3737637

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Time to drop the transmission and see what we have to work with. Will keep you up to date.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts