Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am replacing my torque converter and am wondering if i should just replace it with one like is in there now or get a stall torque converter. what are the pros and cons for each? i have a relatively stock engine. everything is stock except for edelbrock 500 carb, crane 260 cam, roller rockers, hooker headers and .040 bore. it's a 289 v8 engine. so if i were to get a stall converter would 2000 stall speed work for my application? thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you know what size stock converter you have? Measure across the studs the 12 inch converter will measure 11&3/8 center to center The 11 inch converter will measure 10&1/2 and the rare 10 inch converter will measure 9&5/8.
Alan

·
Registered
360 Posts
If it idles well in gear, then a stall convertor is not really needed. A high stall convertor allows more RPM before it transmits power to the trans, if you don't have the proper supporting cast(big cam, high CR, deep rear gears, etc.) it will not be fun to drive. I would suggest staying with a stock replacement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
More stall if done correctly will run better all around. If you get some TCi junkbox with a butchered stator it will heat the hell out of the transmission. You really want to set the converter up for the torque curve of the engine. In stock form the converters were generally a little tighter than what is preferred.
Alan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.