Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 90 stang's stock torque converter is shot and I want to replace it with a better upgrade. My mods include rebuilt 302, remanufactured Jasper Trans (AOD) with mild shift kit, new rear axles w/3:73 gears, K&N air filter, off road exhaust system w/o cats w/flowmaster mufflers. I don't drag race or take my car to the track. I would just like to compliment my mild set-up with T/C that would give my car more "balls" coming out of the hole at the traffic light! I don't drive it on the highway at all. The shift kit fixed the sluggish stock shifting problems. What style T/C and stall speed would you suggest for my stang? It is a 90 GT Conv. and stock other than the listed mods.:cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would think about 2200 to 2400 stall speed. And also think about using a better valve body rather than the shift kit. I tried a shift kit, and it did help a little, but the valve body is a lot better. It will hold 2nd gear much better. You can either manually shift or let it do it's thing. On your selector, 1st will be 1st gear, D will be 2nd gear, and OD will be 3rd gear as well as overdrive.

·
Registered
897 Posts
if you wanna get out the hole ? 2500-2800 stall with the setup you already have.valve body changes only give you better shifts(firm,quick,tight)something to consider after the fact!

·
Registered
14 Posts
A valve body will give you better shifts, however that IS NOT all that it will do for an AOD. What to consider after the fact you have spend money on a shift kit an for someone to install(since most people do not do it themselves) A valve body will do everything a shift kit will do,and because it is a simple bolt that comes with good instuctions it can be done in your driveway in an hour or less. What is the biggest problem with a Ford AOD? The 2nd to 3rd gear shift comes to early!!! Sure you can increase line pressure and get a little more RPM's out of it, or you could "shuttle" shift it(plan on replacing trans soon) To get out of the hole quicker, you need to get more out of 2nd gear. 2800 stall converter? Never heard anyone recommend that for a dailly driven car, and no trck time planned. Using stock radiator with built in cooler, I see trans fluid overheating with a 2800. Mine did anyway, if not for having a temp guage on it I would have had bigger problems. A good converter builder will give you one free rebuild, so if you are not happy with what you get after driving it, they can loosen it up or tighten it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.