Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so I'm driving Sunday and I go to turn on the stereo and - nothing. Then I notice the clock is out as well. When I get home I checked the fuse and it was good. I drove the car on Tuesday and still no radio but all else is functioning. I went out yesterday morning and the horse was DEAD. No locks, no alarm, no ignition - DEAD. So I call Ford Roadside service and they send someone to defibrulate. The very instant the guy hooks up the cables the alarm starts blaring and - the radio comes on :happyhapp He pulls back the cables and I hit the remote alarm and it shuts off. I stick the key in the ignition and the car starts instantly - no abnormal indication on the charge gage either.:eyebulge: So I drove it to the dealer - explained the problem and told them to fix it. I told them that I will not accept that they can't find a problem. This is the second time I've had starting problems - the first was after sitting for seven days. That time the battery was definetly flat. So - anybody have any theories? Halloween was last week and the ghosts should be gone by now.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
2horseowner said:
The very instant the guy hooks up the cables the alarm starts blaring and - the radio comes on
If it came back on when he put the cables on could it be a bad battery connection. Sounds simple but sometimes the worst problems have simple solutions.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cables were clean and tight. it could be something internal to the battery though. We'll have to wait and see what the dealer finds. The radio thing throws me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
are you by chance using a radar detector? cause if you leave is plugged in while the car is off is could be draining your battery.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope - no radar detector. I do have a billet plug in the power port but it's got rubber o-ring insulators so I don't think it's grounding out. The car has been at the dealer since Thursday with no call. I guess they took me seriously when I told them not to call and tell me they couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The completely dead after 7 day thing happened to me three or four months ago and at the time somebody posted that they thought that if you left the CD player/radio on when you turned the car off it would continue to search/play whatever. So I always turn the radio off when I exit the vehicle. I have been out of town once since this happened, again for 7 days and when I returned she cranked right up. May not be the fix, but I am going with it until it happens again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dead Battery too

I've had the same problem with the battery going dead after sitting for about a week. This has happened twice now. Each time, I checked all light switches, doors, etc. and nothing appeared to have been left on.

The battery was flat to the point where the doors would not unlock with the remote, dome light wouldn't come on, etc. Using a battery charger, I was able to get the car going again reasonably quickly. Fortunately, both times it happened in my driveway.

Dealer is going to have to look it over, but I have very little faith that they will find anything. Probably just accuse me of leaving something on :eyebulge:.

If anyone discovers the problem, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

RocketMan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem

I had the same problem, I have a shaker 500 and went to start the car and the battery was dead. If I had to guess I'd blame the radio system. They've had a lot of problems with these units. I'm going to get mine replaced at the dealer as soon as I get home. If anyone else has had this same problem and has come up with a fix for it please let everyone know how you fixed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
no start

Mine was dead after less than a week, and i may have left the c d player on i"m not sure. It"s an 05 with 2000 mi. on it and never had a problem before this. I got it new in june 05. Think I"ll make sure the c d is off to see if it matters.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi 2horse,

The problems I've heard and read about all have to the with the Shaker audio system amps staying on even after the key is turned off correctly. The solution is to replace the amps or the head unit depending on what dealer did the fix. I think Ford is aware of this problem and may have issued some type of dealer service alert, it may not have made it to TBS level. Hope this helps!

Cheers

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The original post was last August. Somehow it got resurrected. i haven't had the problem since and the Shakers have not been replaced. I have after market dash kits on both cars. It would be a drag to get the radios replaced.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My girlfriend with '05v6 had a similar problem with radio, also gauges, then dead battery. We took it to the dealer and they replaced the smart junction box, reprogrammed with key fob, and the problem went away. -Just a theory in your case though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
had same problem, upon research i noticed an aftermarket fusable link coming off my battery i disconnected it and problem solved. i bought the teflon paint protection and apparently when they did this they installed some kind of system that ionizes the frame or some crap to stop rust.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My friend has an 06 V6, and had a very similar problem. Only occurred during inclement weather. First trip to dealer and they couldn't figure it out. Second trip to dealer, and someone noticed a small crack in some sort of box, possibly the junction box as mentioned previously. They replaced that, and the problem went away. I can find out specifically what was done next time I talk to my friend.

edited to add: just noticed the original post was from last year...I'm presuming the problem is now fixed for you (I hope!).

·
Registered
66 Posts
i dont no if it was the same thing but person that lived by me had something like that happen were the car would start but that was it couldnt use any electrical stuff, turned out to be a bad module.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Shaker 500- no volume, response delay

I filled up my gas tank yesterday, and when I started her back up, there was no sound from the Shaker. I had turned off the car with a CD playing. I fiddled with the volume control; it took several to many seconds to see the volume bars adjust, but still no sound. I also hit the on/off switch a few times, but the &#(*$&# thing didn't turn off. About 10 minutes down the road, I get it to turn off, then turn it back on ....nothing! Switching between CD and radio, and it takes a while for the display to change, but still nothing!
Turn it off, and leave it off, get back to work and park. Turn off the car, let it sit, then start her up again, and voila, sound!!!!

Weird for sure!!! If it happens again, it's going to the dealership!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had this happen mid drive...car shut down one thing at a time starting with the Stereo...to the headlights...to the speedo (that was disturbing) right to the engine.

Ford replaced the alternator and the battery and it's been fine ever since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts