Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Towing a Mustang GT Manual behind RV?

22K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Twister 
#1 ·
I have called dealerships on this question, " Can I tow my 05 Mustang GT Manual Transmission behind my RV?". Some say yes and others say no. Does anyone have any facts on this question? I do some traveling and would love to bring my stang with me. Summer's around the corner and I'm itchy to go. Any response would be helpful.

#3 ·
Vandil said:
p.178 of the manual says Towing, Wheel lift + dollies or flatbed.
there probably is a reason not to but it shure sounds like big brother talkin. :evilchuck

BTW, would a towed car register the miles with the ignition OFF? maybe a fuse pulled?

#4 ·
Whenever you tow a manual transmission car you should always disconnect the drive shaft. There is no place on this cars front facia to hook up a tow bar. The only choice you would have would be using a dolley. This would work but I'm not sure how difficult on a trip it would be for you to reconnect the drive shaft to the rear differential.

The other option is to use a dolley and tow it with the front wheels on the ground, locking the steering wheel, and the rear wheels on the dolley. I would say that you would run a high risk of ripping the front facia off.

If it were my car, you wouldn't see me transporting it on any thing other than a car transport trailer. Cars with these types of front facia's aren't made for towing.

#5 ·
colorado stang said:
Whenever you tow a manual transmission car you should always disconnect the drive shaft. There is no place on this cars front facia to hook up a tow bar. The only choice you would have would be using a dolley. This would work but I'm not sure how difficult on a trip it would be for you to reconnect the drive shaft to the rear differential.

The other option is to use a dolley and tow it with the front wheels on the ground, locking the steering wheel, and the rear wheels on the dolley. I would say that you would run a high risk of ripping the front facia off.

If it were my car, you wouldn't see me transporting it on any thing other than a car transport trailer. Cars with these types of front facia's aren't made for towing.
Isn't it the auto that needs to have the driveshaft disconnected? A manual transmission should be fine but an auto the oil doesn't flow properly unless the engine is turning the torque converter.

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Vandil said:
Took me a minute to find it. MotorHome magazine lists 04 manual tranny stang as 4 wheel towable.
If you can tow an '04 you should be able to tow an '05. Same rear end and transmission.
The front facia will be an issue but where there's a will, there's a way. Is it possible that the front facia clearance is the same from last year to this year? Betcha it's at least close.
The hard part will be finding a towbar. Different frame rails. Maybe a Lincoln LS or T-Bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.