Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TPMS on aftermarket wheels

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  j051499 
#1 ·
I'm planning to get the GT500 style 19x8.5 wheels from americanmuscle.com, $200 per wheel, as in this link (http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome-gt500-19x8-9410.html). The car I ordered will come with 19 in Premium Painted Luster-Nickel wheels. I would swap wheels, keep the delivered 19 in tires, use the delivered TPMS components, and sell the delivered wheels.

So I asked my dealer if he could swap out the wheels the car is coming with and install these GT500-type wheels, in his service dept. (I would order the wheels and get them before car comes.) That way I'd have the new wheels when I pick the car up.

The dealer said:

"I asked and tire pressure sensors are a band on the rim and can not be swapped, our cost $80 for the new band plus tire swap. Discount tired might be ½ or better than our cost. Plus they specialize in this type of thing."

My questions of all you experts -

Do the factory Mustang wheels have a band, that is not interchangeable?

Americanmuscle.com has valve stem mounted TPMS sensor ($50 per wheel) & a transmitter tool ($35). Should I get those, & hope they will play nice with the Ford TPMS receiver?

How have you guys handled TPMS on aftermarket wheels?

Thanks.

OK - just saw kimbo1's post. Those look like the exact same wheels.

See less See more
#2 ·
i am not sure, too bad you didnt just go with the basic wheels then ya wouldnt have had extra money involved in the 19s and woulda been str8 profit. But yeah that tps thing is expensive anywhere i have gone. Should look at partscheap.com n see if they have anything. Or go to local tire place that focuses on tires

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm no doubt better off swapping out the rims anywhere but at the dealer. So just use the stem based TPMS transmitters that come with the factory wheels, and that's it?

#6 ·
For what it's worth, I bought 20" Foose wheels from Cruizin' Concepts. I paid extra for the valve-stem TPMS sensors. My 2011 GT just has the stock wheels, which I will probably sell. Before I bought the new wheels and tires, I checked on TPMS. Called the dealer, a body shop, and a tire shop.

From what I gathered, last gen Mustangs 2005-2009 use the bands,which do break when removed and need to be replaced. Since 2010+ uses the valve stem version, that's not an issue. I think the TPMS is part of the tire and is just a matter of putting the factory tire on the new wheel. Since I went with aftermarket wheels and tires, I paid extra.

For what it's worth, my body shop offered to swap the factory TPMS onto some aftermarket wheels/tires they were selling, but the price through Cruizin was better even with new TPMS than the body shop was offering. I think the only thing I have to do is get the new TPMS calibrated to my Mustang.

My wheels should arrive Friday, so I'll post pics. Probably not going on car until week after next due to some other mods I'm planning. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.