Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the local BMW dealer put on a new set of Goodyear Supercar tires last Friday. The have a touch free tire dismounter.

One of the TPMS units had come apart somehow and a new Ford one was brought in and put on. They told me that they did not do anything to reset the TPMS system, other than the replacement with an OEM TPMS unit for one tire.

Driving home, I got a warning light and the display said "Low Tire Pressure" or something. 2 minutes of driving later, the light and message disappeared, not to be seen again.

I went for a very short couple miles drive today and the light and message were not present.

Did the system auto learn the new TPMS unit?

Am I out of the woods here or is this warning going to pop up again at some point and I will need the special tool and reprogram it?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
As far as I know, there is no auto learn feature. It needs to be programmed. My winter wheels have sensors but I don't have the programming tool and I get the warning light all winter.

·
Registered
768 Posts
When I swapped my wheels, sensors and tires, it took a couple of days of driving for the light to come on. Since I have the tool, I just programmed them and all is well. I wouldn't worry about it until if/when the light comes on.

Mine said tire pressure sensor fault. If the fault pops up on yours, you could always go to a tire shop to have them program the sensors rather than buying the little remote tool. I'm sure they would do it for free.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
they auto learn, I bought new sensors when I bought wheels a few years, they were Ford oem sensors, I did nothing, they trained themselves

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Ford OEM ones are self learning.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Based on what I observed with my warning light and then it going away, it appeared to be such.

Thanks.

I guess it paid off to replace with an OEM one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just bought 4 OEM sensors from ebay. All 4 cost under $50 and they work great.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I work at Discount Tire. Fords do not have AUTO RELEARN. Yes they are trained to the car but the car wont know which sensor is which. They need to be relearned. You can stop by your local Discount Tire and they can do it for free. Just pull up in front of one of the bays and ask. Its very quick.

Now back to BMW saying the sensor came apart, these shouldnt come apart at all. The Touchless machine can still hit the sensor and bust it up if they arent careful. These sensor stems can be "rebuilt" for $3 if the sensor itself didnt break. other wise a new sensor will be about $50 each NEW.

The touchless machine isnt really touchless. You just dont need a metal bar to help you and the plastic part that touches the wheel is much smaller.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't say whether the BMW dealer messed it up or not. They might have, or it could have been the last installer.
I am not too upset that one broke for whatever the reason. I just had it replaced and moved on.

I am not so sure my Mustang has the TPMS type to say which tire is low.

I had a low tire a few days after I initially bought it and the error message was "low tire pressure" only, nothing about right or left, or front or rear. Perhaps it was never programmed to begin with?

As long as I am alerted that a tire is low, that's good enough for me.
I'll pull over and check them.

One of these days when it gets a bit warmer, I will stop by the Ford dealer next to my office.

I am told not to drive those Goodyear Supercar tires under 40 degrees, something about the sidewalls at that temperature.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I can't say whether the BMW dealer messed it up or not. They might have, or it could have been the last installer.
I am not too upset that one broke for whatever the reason. I just had it replaced and moved on.

I am not so sure my Mustang has the TPMS type to say which tire is low.

I had a low tire a few days after I initially bought it and the error message was "low tire pressure" only, nothing about right or left, or front or rear. Perhaps it was never programmed to begin with?

As long as I am alerted that a tire is low, that's good enough for me.
I'll pull over and check them.

One of these days when it gets a bit warmer, I will stop by the Ford dealer next to my office.

I am told not to drive those Goodyear Supercar tires under 40 degrees, something about the sidewalls at that temperature.
well when a mustang (any ford/chevy really, Dodge is autolearn) comes into Discount Tire, on the paper work is shows it is not auto relearn and we have to reset them after new tires or rotations. If they are going back in the same spot we do not need to mess with it.. But it literally takes 60 -120seconds to reset them.
If you have the scanner just put the car in relearn mode. (turn key off to on 3 times fast, hit the brake, key 3 times again, hit the brake, key 3 times again, all key turns end in the on postition. the car will honk and its in relearn mode. Then you go around to each tire and use the scanner. The car will honk at each wheel when it has relearned the sensor.

·
Registered
682 Posts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkSfgyCCDI

Check out this video starting around 4:20 I think. Has anyone tried this method?
I'm curious because I installed the idata system and since my tires have been rotated it shows my tires on the wrong positions.

I would check for myself but I'm out of the country till next month.
Would be good to know if this method will work on our cars.

·
Administrator
13,273 Posts
That won`t work on my `13 GT. I have to use the plastic tire tool at each wheel.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I work at Discount Tire. Fords do not have AUTO RELEARN. Yes they are trained to the car but the car wont know which sensor is which. They need to be relearned. You can stop by your local Discount Tire and they can do it for free. Just pull up in front of one of the bays and ask. Its very quick.

Now back to BMW saying the sensor came apart, these shouldnt come apart at all. The Touchless machine can still hit the sensor and bust it up if they arent careful. These sensor stems can be "rebuilt" for $3 if the sensor itself didnt break. other wise a new sensor will be about $50 each NEW.

The touchless machine isnt really touchless. You just dont need a metal bar to help you and the plastic part that touches the wheel is much smaller.
correct, they don't know which wheel is actually low until trained, but you do not need anyone to do it for you.

1. hit the hazard button 6 times
2. the center display will say training or something of that nature, it will tell you which tire you're training
3. begin letting air out of the tire that your center displsy directed you to until the horn beeps
4.move on to the next tire your center display tells you to, by letting air out until the horn beeps
5. do this for all 4 tires until complete

I know for a fact this training procedure works, my Kenwood headunit reads tire pressures in real time via the OBDII input to the headunit

·
Registered
682 Posts
correct, they don't know which wheel is actually low until trained, but you do not need anyone to do it for you.

2. the center display will say training or something of that nature, it will tell you which tire you're training
3. begin letting air out of the tire that your center displsy directed you to until the horn beeps
4.move on to the next tire your center display tells you to, by letting air out until the horn beeps

I know for a fact this training procedure works, my Kenwood headunit reads tire pressures in real time via the OBDII input to the headunit
Good to hear. I have the kenwood setup as well an I was hoping it would be this simple.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Good to hear. I have the kenwood setup as well an I was hoping it would be this simple.
I don't have any idea
how I missed that video you posted haha, that's exactly what I did, worked twice on my 2011

·
Administrator
13,273 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts

i knew you could get some ford in the training mode with the hazards but i didnt know you could do it without the bar-tek scanner or the little plastic thing like KENV said. Good to know

1 - 19 of 19 Posts