Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from U.K re above i am new to these modern Mustangs, previously i had a 73 Mach 1 for 28 years. As i am getting on a bit treated my self to 2010 4.6 AUTO G.T. Anyhow looking for info on the TPMS. I can understand the theory side but what happens in the real world, i.e can i swop my wheels around, can i run wheels without sensors, do i have to fit sensors every time i change/renew tyres by not having them will it screw up all the computer trickery now found on board these newer vehicles. Also i have seen several types i.e programmable and non programmable just to make it more awkward TIA mickmatt p.s the car is a dream take care out there

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
I have a 2010 GT, here is my experience/knowledge of the TPMS:
  • the system does not know which wheel is which; if one is low, it just tells you that one is low, it does not tell you which one
  • yes you can move wheels around on the car and the system does not know the difference
  • sometimes new sensors need to be synched to the car, sometimes they don't . . . I think the aftermarket sensors need to be synched to the car, OEM sensors do not (I have put "new" OEM Ford wheels on my car, did not synch them, and they worked fine)
  • the sensors are mounted to the stems, and they stay in the wheel when you change tires . . . but the installer needs to be careful not to break the sensors in the process
  • Ford used different TPMS systems in 2005-2009 versus 2010-2014 and I think that is why some aftermarket sensors are programmable (so they can be programmed to work with the earlier or later systems)
  • if you run wheels without sensors, you will get a warning on the dash, something like "TPMS system fault" (which is different from "tire pressure low" warning); other than that the car will run fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and experience Jbert. I have another set of wheels and tyres i think it will be put them on and see what happens, the issue could be if all one or none have sensors fitted then i could end up chasing my tail and getting friendly with my tyre guy!! cheers mickmatt

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
YW . . . If they are Ford OEM wheels/tires, with the Ford OEM sensors inside, from the same generation of car (2010-2014) then they should work. If not, then they probably won't.

Interested to hear how it works out, please report back when you can, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts