Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out my throttle body the other day but of course got the angry wrench light. I made sure the TPS voltage was within the 1.19-1.31v range. The car started but sounded like crud and died. I'd then recheck the TPS voltage, but it would be substantially different than what it was at before the car was started. So, I changed the TPS. Now it idles better, but I still get the angry wrench and hitting the gas pedal barely makes the engine rev at all. With the engine idling, I checked the TPS voltage, and it drops down to just under 1.0v. What could be causing this?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Did you try re-installing the old throttle body to see if the problem clears up?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The reason is when you mash the throttle you get hardly any revs is that the engine is running (KOER) self-test. because the comparison of the TP sensor and MAF sensor readings are not consistent with the ECU load values. So it goes into KOER mode.

Just one thing have you checked for any Air leaks around the TPS and/or MAF? As in changing the Throttle body you may have upset the MAF. I assume you have a CAI installed? do you have a tune?

try exercising the throttle and the TP sensor with the pedal. A TP PID (TP V PID) less than 0.24 volts with a LOAD PID greater than 55%, or a TP PID (TP V PID) greater than 2.44 volts with a LOAD PID less than 30% indicates a hard fault.

Also make sure all your connectors are clean and check the resistance over the loom. Its a PITA job but could be the reason. but if it worked ok before you changed it then its could be a something as simple as that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked for air leaks and do not have any. Yes, I do have a CAI. I do not have any tunes but have a JET Performance module installed. If I do need to clean the connectors, what should I use?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The best one to use, well the one I use is Permatex 24378 Non-Flammable Electrical Contact Cleaner for cleaning. Its in an aerosol form. Also Use a non lint cloth as you don't want bits of the fluff getting stuck in the contacts. You can get Permatex from most Auto stores, I think even Wal-mart have it. but its been awhile. lol

I was thinking about your Jet module, its it the bolt on to the ecu type? I assume it is. It maybe that, that's giving you your TPS error as in changing the Throttle body the readings maybe screwing around with the stated ECU values. Try an reset of the ecu, you know the 'ole dis-connect the battery for a few minutes trick. It may work. but Tbh Jet modules are never as good as a proper tune for aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried the disconnect the battery thing a few times and tried with taking the JET module off. I'm willing to bet that the ECU is just hanging on to the fault codes. I should have a scanner in the next day or 2, so I can clear the codes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I First Got My Cold Air...I Put In Stock TB And My Car Was Doing THe Same Thing.....I Looked Up The Codes, And Figured Changing My TPS Would Help...So I Figure Since I Am Doing That Why Not Go To A 70milTB ....So I Swapped it OUt And The Car Was Kicking INto Limp Home Mode Even Worse......What Was Happening Was Cause Of THe Bigger TB And Cold Air, The Car Was Making More Torque Then The Comp Was Used To, And The Comp Was Figuring That Something Was Wrong And Throwing It into Limp Home Mode....So I Got A Diablo Sport Tuner...And Got A Custom Tune Made With The Limp Home Mode Disabled And Got A Stock Tune Written With The Limp Home Disabled...Havent Had A Problem Since......Well Exept Going Through A Ton Of Gas Cause I Am Stomping On THe Gas Everywhere I Go.....The Mail Has Never made It Up The Drive Way This Fast Before:bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.