Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TPS will not stay adjusted, it keeps coming loose. I adjust it as per the instructions on Stinger's site, but it will not last for more than two weeks before it needs to be adjusted again. It does not become loose enough to fall off, but just enough that it comes out of adjustment and will shift with throttle movement or slight pressure from my finger. When adjusting it, I have tried just snugging it up, and also synching it down and regardless it will work its way loose. It has small locking washers on it so I am not sure what else to do to help it stay put. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Are the screw holes stripped? Those are pretty small screws/threads and they thread into aluminum (soft metal).
Maybe try new lockwashers and some Loctite and see how that holds.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Is screws actually loosing up? if so Take evintho advice. If just changing replace it. I have seen the center of the tps strip out and adjustment keep changing. Maurice

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Thats hard to believe. Are the screws bottoming out before the Sensor is tight?? Check how far the screws go in Without the sensor then measure the distance. If its the same distance as the thickness of the TPS then use a small washer. Dont use LOCKTITE. If the sensor has to be replaced down the road it will be a bear to loosen up. I use ALLEN head screws in place of the stock ones with Lock washers and small flat washers. Are you sure the body of the sensor is moving?? Also check that the shaft can rotate the sensor and that the sensor rotation is not out of RANGE mechanically. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet! Thanks everyone, this is looking promising. I pulled the TPS off yesterday, the screws still seemed somewhat snug. Put the screws in without the sensor and the distance was just slightly smaller than the thickness of the sensor itself so I am hoping that is what my problem was.

Found some shorter allen head screws along with a thicker locking washer and it seems to snug up much better. The allen heads are nice and make it easier to get more pressure on the screw versus the phillips head. They are not any easier to access, but allow for better tightening. I will update in a couple of weeks, hopefully with good news. If not, loctite sounds enticing. I am guessing that white is the weakest strength?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Nice work 7 thats the SPIRIT. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

Hay 7 Just got mmy UTAH carry PERMIT. I am legal in your state HURRAY AND CHEERS!!!

:cheers:circlingsmilies

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool Tom! Does that mean you are preparing to come help me with my projects in the near future? Oh....wait.....maybe that is a threat so I will quit filling your inbox with so many questions!:blink:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Hay 7 when i was out their i was BLOWN away by the state ITS GORGEOUS. If i am ever out their again i will look you up and we will hang out and go to the range and POUND SOME GEARS. Hay never worry about filling my IN BOX its my pleasure to HELP. Your state is BEAUTIFUL. Peace My Brother:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
198 Posts
Good job 7. I hope the new bolts work out for you. Just a quick note: white locktite is a pipe thread sealant, NOT a thread locker and it probably will not do much to prevent a bolt from working loose. If you need to use a threadlocker for a bolt that you need to remove later, use blue. Red and green BOTH require heat to break the bond. Blue is not that hard to get loose but works well in most applications to prevent bolts from working loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts