Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on going to the track in a couple of days, I have never really raced besides a stop light once in a while when a 350Z pulls up or something. I was just wanting some tips on how to get the best launch and other things I should watch out for.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you do a search of the forum you should find alot of helpfull info, but I have gone myself a couple times and read what others recommend. I am fairly stock so this my advice applies to stock tires etc.
Don't go through the water, go around. Don't need to do a burnout unless you want to spin the tires a little to clean them off. As far as a launch with the manual I can't help there, I have an auto and launch at 2000 rpm's or the tires break free. I know its alot different technique launching with the manual.
You can also lose weight by removing the spare/jack/and subs if shaker1000, but I never have done this, I just go as is. I am not too concerned myself, more just racing it to have fun than trying to squeeze every .001 second out of it. I consistantly get 13.8's with my setup.
Also you will need a helmet if you get under 14 seconds.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
If you cant go around the water box ,like the track I race at, just spin the tires for a few sec. to get them dry and a little warm ,do not do a John Force burn out , you maybe really tempted to do so , but it will hurt your times !
With your first run I would launch very easy at 2,000rpm`s , and if you bog on that run , bring it up to 2500 for you next run !
I have heard that the best way to launch a stock stick Mustang , is to launch easy:shrug ,

(if you really want good times ,dont take you foot off of the gas)
but you did not hear that from me:D

·
Registered
502 Posts
ran260gt said:
I guess thats all the info you are going to get , nobody else is going to give up their track secrets :weeps !
Naw, man, cheer up...there's a ton of info on this, rot'cheer on AFM...go to Forums/Racing Forums/Drag Racing and check it out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts