Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browsing the forums last night and I ran across one that discussed turning off the advanced trac system. I just wnat to thank you all whoever you are for that information. if you drive with it on everyday as the car is designed to do, you do not really get a feel for how much performance this car has even in stock form because the advance trac takes care of you. Well you turn it off and you feel just what this car can do. I hit the gas and felt this thing fishtailing behind me it was like I was driving the car for the first time. No it does not make it faster, it just makes you realize just how much power a basic 305HP car actually has.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was just browsing the forums last night and I ran across one that discussed turning off the advanced trac system. I just wnat to thank you all whoever you are for that information. if you drive with it on everyday as the car is designed to do, you do not really get a feel for how much performance this car has even in stock form because the advance trac takes care of you. Well you turn it off and you feel just what this car can do. I hit the gas and felt this thing fishtailing behind me it was like I was driving the car for the first time. No it does not make it faster, it just makes you realize just how much power a basic 305HP car actually has.
I agree with you...makes my 5.0 uch more fun to drive!

·
Registered
381 Posts
what options/build do you have? I'm just asking because I have a base auto with 2.73's and a tune with k&n, but even with the t/c and s/c systems turned off and "hill mode" turned off it doesn't spin from a stop going straight. Sure if I turn the wheel she'll get squirrely, but but it just hooks and goes when I punch it. Still a beast though, I can't take that away from it.

Dissapointing that I drove my sister's 2010 equinox sport pack and with the t.c. off alone it will break loose from a dead stop going in a straight line. But I wouldn't trade my mustang for it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Don't really know why you would want your back tires to break loose. I think the rest of us are doing everything we can to eliminate that problem. Anyway, simply apply a little break while you punch it and that should do it for you.

Spin away. LOL

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what options/build do you have? I'm just asking because I have a base auto with 2.73's and a tune with k&n, but even with the t/c and s/c systems turned off and "hill mode" turned off it doesn't spin from a stop going straight. Sure if I turn the wheel she'll get squirrely, but but it just hooks and goes when I punch it. Still a beast though, I can't take that away from it.

Dissapointing that I drove my sister's 2010 equinox sport pack and with the t.c. off alone it will break loose from a dead stop going in a straight line. But I wouldn't trade my mustang for it. :bigthumbsup
As many have said in these forums, the stock V6 which is what I drive also does not perform well in low RPM's so spinning the wheels really does not happen even with everything off. When I felt the car get loose I was already at about 2500 RPM and I hammered it to get by some others on the road. It truly suprised me that It got loose like it did. Next time you are out and you hammer it from a stop, pay attention to how the car pulls once you get to 3-4 thousand RPM, its like the engine just kicks in and if you are a novice like myself, with T/C off and advance trac off you can be surprised by what the car can do at that point. And trust me, the equinox only spun because its tail end is so light. It's like getting in a Chevy silverado (Ford trucks are geared more for hauling, not speed), I can spin my rear wheels on that truck all day, but its because it has no weight. Get in a Avalanche and try it, it wont happen because of the weight it has on its bed. Anyway, like I said the T/C and advance trac off does not speed the car up, it just makes it more fun to drive

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just some background. Until my 2011 V6 Mustang, the fastest vehicle I drove was my old silverado. Ive never driven a "car" with more than 130HP, an old cavalier. Ive driven Ford trucks, and the Silverado and an Avalanche, so that is why I did not even consider the 5.0 when I went shopping. I have a lead foot already so I did not want to get something that would be too much for me to handle. My next mustang will be a V8 though, but I'm having a blast with this one for the time being.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As many have said in these forums, the stock V6 which is what I drive also does not perform well in low RPM's so spinning the wheels really does not happen even with everything off. When I felt the car get loose I was already at about 2500 RPM and I hammered it to get by some others on the road. It truly suprised me that It got loose like it did. Next time you are out and you hammer it from a stop, pay attention to how the car pulls once you get to 3-4 thousand RPM, its like the engine just kicks in and if you are a novice like myself, with T/C off and advance trac off you can be surprised by what the car can do at that point. And trust me, the equinox only spun because its tail end is so light. It's like getting in a Chevy silverado (Ford trucks are geared more for hauling, not speed), I can spin my rear wheels on that truck all day, but its because it has no weight. Get in a Avalanche and try it, it wont happen because of the weight it has on its bed. Anyway, like I said the T/C and advance trac off does not speed the car up, it just makes it more fun to drive
O yeah even with the older 4.6 liter like mine its no fun with the traction control on you cant really break your car loose yeah I can gun it and drop the clutch and itll chirp a little but with it off I can go on for days

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
When I take traction control off I can get my 3.7 to practically go sideways into second gear. I bring it to 3k + Rpms and drop the clutch and the back of the car just kicks out to the side.... its a great time! :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I take traction control off I can get my 3.7 to practically go sideways into second gear. I bring it to 3k + Rpms and drop the clutch and the back of the car just kicks out to the side.... its a great time! :)
beauty of a stick. The auto will not do that off the line, but as you stated, it is a beast above 3000rpm

·
Registered
650 Posts
beauty of a stick. The auto will not do that off the line, but as you stated, it is a beast above 3000rpm

...with 2.73s maybe.......

There are plenty of ppl on here with better gearing ( 355's or 3.73's) and have no problem with the tires spinning on the auto. Its the conservative gearing on stock base v6's that causes this. Get better gears and you will burn rubber all day long.... with an auto.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Huh??? My 2012 manual with a 93 Race tune loaded and traction control/advancetrac off stays straight on street pavement even on no-lift 1-2 shifts.....??

Not sure how you're getting it to start sideways unless it's not clean pavement or the front wheels aren't straight. Nice as it is, this 2012 fits the famous Phil Burkart Sr. definition of underpowered - i.e., "Any car that's easy to control in a straight line at full throttle is, by definition, underpowered!"

·
Registered
381 Posts
As many have said in these forums, the stock V6 which is what I drive also does not perform well in low RPM's so spinning the wheels really does not happen even with everything off. When I felt the car get loose I was already at about 2500 RPM and I hammered it to get by some others on the road. It truly suprised me that It got loose like it did. Next time you are out and you hammer it from a stop, pay attention to how the car pulls once you get to 3-4 thousand RPM, its like the engine just kicks in and if you are a novice like myself, with T/C off and advance trac off you can be surprised by what the car can do at that point. ...
Yeah, I found out the hardway the first time I punched it at around 25 or 30mph. It about scared the hell out me because I wasn't ready for it. :D

@GT STYLE, yeah I know how to get them to break loose. and it's great because I can spend money on other stuff instead of control arms and the like :winks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Huh??? My 2012 manual with a 93 Race tune loaded and traction control/advancetrac off stays straight on street pavement even on no-lift 1-2 shifts.....??

Not sure how you're getting it to start sideways unless it's not clean pavement or the front wheels aren't straight. Nice as it is, this 2012 fits the famous Phil Burkart Sr. definition of underpowered - i.e., "Any car that's easy to control in a straight line at full throttle is, by definition, underpowered!"
How are you launching? When I did it I wasn't trying to run a straight line, I Just wanted to burn rubber and see what would happen.... take it up to 3.5 or 4k rpms and drop the clutch, that thing should be sliding all over the place... and you may not even have to rev it THAT high..

·
Registered
650 Posts
...if you are expecting that kind of power out of a 3.7L v6,.. you bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I can get mine to fish-tail around a little in a straight line, but it's because I'm running BFG all-seasons. They don't grab all that well, even in blistering 118 degree Arizona heat. Too many RPM's in 1st and I get a lot of wheel hop too. But still, 305 HP is nothing to sneeze at. 300 HP has been the magic territory for factory V8 muscle cars since at least around 1968 or a little earlier. Now 400 seems to be the number for them, but 300+ for a 6 is still no joke. It's mighty fun! 400 on the V8 is just "funner!" :shigrin

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...with 2.73s maybe.......

There are plenty of ppl on here with better gearing ( 355's or 3.73's) and have no problem with the tires spinning on the auto. Its the conservative gearing on stock base v6's that causes this. Get better gears and you will burn rubber all day long.... with an auto.
As much as I would like to, I cant afford to replace the tires with all the burnouts I would do, So I will have to stick to the basic 2.73 set up. Looks like I will be getting a tune shortly, so maybe that will give me that little extra to at least chirp the tires on take off. Burnout not necessary.

·
Registered
381 Posts
As much as I would like to, I cant afford to replace the tires with all the burnouts I would do, So I will have to stick to the basic 2.73 set up. Looks like I will be getting a tune shortly, so maybe that will give me that little extra to at least chirp the tires on take off. Burnout not necessary.
With Bama tunes, don't expect them to chirp on takeoff. But do expect a hell of a difference, and to take off A LOT quicker. I read a post on here a month or so ago that with a 93r tune and cai that a guy with otherwise stock auto with 2.73's was laying a 10 foot patch. So maybe there's hope.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-v6-mustang-tech/296825-airaid-cai-installed.html#post2577082

·
Registered
6,803 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I can get mine to fish-tail around a little in a straight line, but it's because I'm running BFG all-seasons. They don't grab all that well, even in blistering 118 degree Arizona heat. Too many RPM's in 1st and I get a lot of wheel hop too. But still, 305 HP is nothing to sneeze at. 300 HP has been the magic territory for factory V8 muscle cars since at least around 1968 or a little earlier. Now 400 seems to be the number for them, but 300+ for a 6 is still no joke. It's mighty fun! 400 on the V8 is just "funner!" :shigrin
Yeah, getting these cars to spin a little is very easy, especially coming around a turn... the key is "just don't be scared, and do it!!" lol.

I'm a big fan out u-turning in this car, quite easy to slide the entire way during the turn, but this is also the first RWD car I've owned, so it's an entirely new experience for me lol.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts