Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Lord! I talked to a guy, in the video store parking lot [as I was backing into a spot, his wife told him "That's a pretty car!"]. As I got out of the car, he was peeking around the side of his mini-van [poor *******] and asked "That's a Mustang, right?" I said "Yep" :)

He has a '65 convertible and wondered out loud if he could trade it at the dealership, straight across, for a new one.

What are people thinking?!?!

No, no, no, no!!! You save up and buy *another* Mustang. Fer Peter's sake!

Trade in the grocery getter. Who *wouldn't* be happy to get rid of a mini-van, in exchange for a '05-'06?

What would you do?

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
If he has a 65 vert and wants a 06, then he doesnt deserve the 65 to start. Let someone else appreciate it :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
I had the same dilema JetBlack. I had a 66 vert. Pony interior, emberglow, auto, straight-six. Had it for 12 years. At the end of my ownership, I was driving it 400 miles a year. It was beginning to be a tropy rather than a vehicle. I would not drive it in the rain, I would not drive it to work, I would not let my wife drive it. It became a contentious subject between us since we needed a third car at times.:sterb:

My wife convinced me to sell it and take all proceeds towards a new pony. I now have a clear tiltle to my car and have not regretted the move.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would have traded in the wife before I let her talk me in to trading in the vert.

·
Registered
785 Posts
hawgman said:
I would have traded in the wife before I let her talk me in to trading in the vert.
The dealership would not give me a good deal on the wife. Should have taken her to the dentist first.
BTW, My wife wants to know where you live.:laughlitt

·
Registered
358 Posts
Keep the 65 and buy the 06, or better yet an 05.
Why not have the first of both generations?
But that is my opnion from my viewpoint as an enthusiast.
It depends on what your intent is.
Are you a collector?
Are you an enthusiast?
Somewhere in between?
The view is yours alone to decide.
In my personal experience I kept the 65 and gave it to my son so he could restore it.
I could have bought a 69 but got a 05 instead.
Why?
Because I wanted the modern comforts and technology of the modern car.
And the feel and style of the older car.
Thats what has made the S197 Stang such a big hit, and started the muscle car rebirth in Detroit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is a little different but along similar thought...
I used to have a 62 Vette that I restored COMPLETELY from the ground up. EVERYTHING was perfect and right on her (except that the numbers on the engine and tranny were not correct). I had to sell her for a different reason a number of years ago but since then I had ALWAYS TERRIBLY regretted selling that car. Hardly a day would go by that I didn't think, "gosh I miss that car, I wish I hadn't have sold it." I know that's silly, but I'm serious.
Unitil now. Although it's not the same thing, I can tell you if had I had that 62' today I would have sold/traded her in a heartbeat to get my 06' GT! My situation is a bit different though; I have a wife and 5 kids and she stays home with to take care of them - I couldn't have both cars. I simply couldn't possibly afford to do it.
For me, I love the new technology of the new cars, I adore the retro Stang look, the ride is so smooth, and she is just sweet through and through. The Vette was a beauty for sure - but the upkeep and sheer FEAR of taking her out for a spin was a nightmare! I was always getting offers/comments/etc. from people (it's nice to be noticed but my privacy means something to me), afraid of water/dirt/dust getting in places I couldn't get out, terrified that some idiot would hit me and it would NEVER be the same, afraid that something ELSE would go wrong with it YET AGAIN and it would be forever trying to get it fixed... Although she was a sight to behold she was TRULY a money/time pit.
Now I can ENJOY my car - and for me - just as much of a sight to behold! Sure I worry about some IDIOT hitting me, but at least I can get it fixed right without anywhere near as much trouble. She can be an everyday'r without me losing any more of my already scarce hair.
I LOVE my new car, and thankfully, my sorrowfull thoughts of losing my baby are long gone, never to return.
In short, YES I would trade my 62 Vette (if I still had her) for my 06' GT no matter what people think of me.
But that's me.

Joe

·
Registered
785 Posts
Pass the fun

On the day I sold my 66, the cold feet started taking over. I had tried to sell Betsy twice but had set the price ridiculously high. Not because I had illusions of grandeur, but because I did not want to sell it.
What also made me feel better about selling the car was the response I got from the buyer. I had e-mailed him a few pics of the car and he visited me the next night with his whole family. Wife and three teenage kids. It was raining and I asked if he wanted to take it for a test drive. He decline for the same reasons that scared the heck out of me. He promised me a cashier's check the next day and begged that I did not show it to anyone else.

I think I made a whole family happy and knew that they would take car of Betsy appropriately. The guy thanked me at least 10 times when he picked up the car and I waved them off with a good feeling about both our futures as Mustang owners.

·
Registered
767 Posts
J&D said:
The dealership would not give me a good deal on the wife. Should have taken her to the dentist first.
BTW, My wife wants to know where you live.:laughlitt
About 5 hours north of you. Guarentee, my wife could read your first post, and she would have said the same thing :winks

·
Registered
785 Posts
hawgman said:
About 5 hours north of you. Guarentee, my wife could read your first post, and she would have said the same thing :winks
She regrets what happened to your car... TOMORROW!!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would keep a classic car over a new car anyday. Classics hold thier values while new cars loose them. I would keep my classic and get a new one also, but wouldnt trade the classic for a new one. Plus insurance on classics are so cheap, its worth keeping, esp if its paid for! I have a 70 Chevelle SS 396 (which is my favorite muscle car of all time!, but I wish i had the LS6 in it!), and no way!! i would get rid of it, i would get rid of the mustang first anyday because I could buy another 06+ GT mustang, and it would be hard to replace a classic in the condition I have it in. My .02..

·
Registered
767 Posts
J&D said:
She regrets what happened to your car... TOMORROW!!!
If she needs my address let me know....

Once again validating my point. You are better off with just the car.

·
Registered
361 Posts
ixtlan said:
Keep the 65 and buy the 06, or better yet an 05.
Why not have the first of both generations?
Not to be a real stickler, or anything, but you do realize that 65 is not the first of the generation, right? That would be 64 1/2...:winks

·
Registered
358 Posts
fordgrl99 said:
Not to be a real stickler, or anything, but you do realize that 65 is not the first of the generation, right? That would be 64 1/2...:winks
Well yes I do and mine (or my sons now) is a 64 1/2.
If you ask Ford the Mustang started in 65.
64 1/2 is a collector term to describe the first production releases.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.