Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, call me stupid or short-sighted or whatever but I just bought my first 2005 Pony a few months ago, a V6, and I'm considering trading her in for a 2006 GT...

So my question to the group is... how great a loss will I expect to take? Is this a dumb move (maybe I shouldn't ask that)? Should I just wait a couple years and deal with it? How can I get my wife to forgive me?

Would I be much better off selling privately? Are there any other options?

Car has less then 2K miles on her. I love the V6 but my penis is too small and I need to make up for it with a GT.

I'm lusting for that deep dual growl, the nicer perellis, the better stance, the extra 80 horses, the better manual tranny, that light aluminum block, the GT rims, and that extra tingle my sweety gets when I nail her to the floor (the throttle, you perv).

Thanks for helpful comments...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would imagine the hit would be tremendous on trade in. I checked ebay yesterday to see what was happening with left over '05 stangs that dealers were previously gouging for, and they look like they are now going for somewhere between invoice and sticker, maybe less.

Try selling privately before taking the ream on trade in.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
pk2112 said:
I would imagine the hit would be tremendous on trade in. I checked ebay yesterday to see what was happening with left over '05 stangs that dealers were previously gouging for, and they look like they are now going for somewhere between invoice and sticker, maybe less.

Try selling privately before taking the ream on trade in.
I agree, you would always get more on a private deal.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've seen more than a few people do that. The lucky ones only go in the tank about $2,000 in the process.

But 2 grands a good amount to play with in v6 mods. One or two guys past the stock GT HP ratings in v6's already.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bummer, but I don't blame you a bit. As far as your wife forgiving you, if she knows how disappointed you are (and let that fact sink in for awhile) and she knows how stupid you feel (and humbled) she may be willing to make the sacrifice with you. Good luck!

G

·
i have a 2006 gt and if i could...i'd gold plate it...but that said...i say keep the v6....with the money you save on gas and insurance and the lower priced car in general you can buy yourself a few go fast toys and run with us gters easy...i've seen some true beasts of v6s on this site ..ask around

·
Registered
599 Posts
We were very fortunate. We bought our satin silver 05 v-6 on march 1 for 18000. I was a beautiful day and the lot was empty. The dealer was desperate, and the car had no options. We went to "test drive" a sonic blue GT on june 4, at 9 am, brought the new gt home at 4 pm. Got 18500 trade-in, ( we had put 07 GT500 wheels on the v-6, but had the dealer swap wheels, so the gt wheels were on our old v-6). Paid full sticker on the GT, but we feel very fortunate. We had to go thru the whole "thats too high we are leaving now, no let me see what i can do" routine with the dealer. Just decide what u can afford to do before u go.
Good Luck:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But I gotta have it!

nghtrnnr said:
i have a 2006 gt and if i could...i'd gold plate it...but that said...i say keep the v6....with the money you save on gas and insurance and the lower priced car in general you can buy yourself a few go fast toys and run with us gters easy...i've seen some true beasts of v6s on this site ..ask around
The addl. money on gas is barely noticable, I bet. I'm old enough with a good track record, so the insurance doesn't worry me...

And I've done the math. To get close to GT HP status full time - Zex don't count, I'd need (conservative guesses):
S/C $3000
Duals $500
Body $500
Tires/Rims $800
Suspention $200
Total = $4500

And I'd still be losing the race, I wouldn't sound as good and no GT badge!

·
Registered
151 Posts
if 05 GTs are going that cheap show me where and I'll go buy another. (Invoice to below sticker)?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Most dealers around here, (Central Arkansas),appear to be overstocked on mustangs and mustang GTs. It might take some work, but I bet i could get a real good deal today. With gas high, and the economy on the brink of colapse.....it will only get easier to buy a new car. I would imagine that they cant give away a new full size suv or truck. Payment+Ins+Gas=1200 or more per month...not for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yea your wife was telling my about your "problem", but I would still get the GT so there will be a glut of v-6's around so I can get a better price on a 06!:tongue

:winks

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was going to do the same.. but then this really nice saleslady told me that they would mostlikely only give me about 17000 and i paid 21 for my 6 and charge About 20 something to who ever wanted to buy it..... so i decided its not a good idea! Im just going tro get the supercharger for 3 grand and have up to 400 hp at the crank..oh ya and my car had less than 6000 miles on it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, you live in NY and winter is coming. Rear wheel drive cars are pretty much useless up there around that time. So maybe you can get a dealship to cut you a deal. Problem is you'd be trading in a Mustang.

I also have a V6 and entertained the thought of upgrading. Don't waste your time trying to trade it in. Sell it privately. The Ford dealership appraised my 2005 v6 at $13000. Funny, it seemed to be worth $22,000 2 months ago...haha, how things change after you sign that paperwork. Anyways, it was just a thought. You should be happy with your car. It has alot more punch than the previous models.

Most likely, you're gonna lose alot of money if you sell it now. Why not just jazz it up a bit. New air intake, headers, a set of duals. You can get some great sounds out of that car. Or supercharge it, you can get that thing to put out more horsepower than a stock GT.

·
Registered
579 Posts
From the beginning of the GT's coming out last year not one dealer I have visited in Ohio has anything over sticker and some are $500-$1000 below on V6 cars.

·
Registered
210 Posts
theyogawarrior said:
if 05 GTs are going that cheap show me where and I'll go buy another. (Invoice to below sticker)?
Search "2005 ford mustang" on ebay.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pk2112 said:
Search "2005 ford mustang" on ebay.
I did a search.. it came up with big letters... "YOU SCREWED YOURSELF".

If I order a GT now I can sell the V6 in a couple months when the GT comes in for about $19K if I don't put a lot of miles on it and I'm lucky.

Dealer offered me "17-18K". For a car with under 2K miles I just paid $22.5K for 3 months ago.

Oh, well. I guess I'll get used to the 6er and learn my lesson.

Here's another big question, though... I'll probably turn it into another thread;

What is the mustang going to look like in 2007? 2008? Will Ford do what GM did with the goat and kill the current look after a couple years? I saw a bunch of stuff online about the 2007 Shelby GT500, but nothing about Ford's plan for the baisc Mustang GT.

I'd REALLY like to see them put a bit of work into the interior. It's the only part of the car I'd say I'm not happy with. The plastic is cheap. My Trailblazer was only 4K more then my V6 and has nice, touchable soft interior vinyl, and it's a V6 that cranks 240HP with 4WD! And I can put 7 passengers in it! Now if only it was as sexy on the outside, and not so darned heavy...

G

·
wow...i'm torn on what to think about ford killing this look after 2 years...on the one hand..for us its great...can you imagine the value if they killed the s197 in 2 years...but on the other...finding parts would suck...i would keep that v6...i swear i see the gas gauge move sometimes on my gt when...(people hate me for saying this)...when i get over 90 and who knows where gas will be in 2007

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hope there are at least some cosmetic changes in the coming years. I like being able to tell them apart by year, plus it gives everyone a reason to claim theirs as the best year :laughlitt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts