Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is to those of you who have ordered a custom Mustang and traded in a used vehicle. How difficult was it to get a good price on your trade in after the Mustang you ordered arrived? I suspect that the dealership would have a lot of leverage over you to give you the least amount that they can since they have your deposit and your new car. Has this been your experience? I would like to avoid having to sell my old car.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I got a trade in value before i ordered mine and signed a piece of paper to hold the price even with the miles i put on the car.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My question is to those of you who have ordered a custom Mustang and traded in a used vehicle. How difficult was it to get a good price on your trade in after the Mustang you ordered arrived? I suspect that the dealership would have a lot of leverage over you to give you the least amount that they can since they have your deposit and your new car. Has this been your experience? I would like to avoid having to sell my old car.
Figure out what price you would want for a trade in. If the dealer won't give it to you, Add $1500 and sell it on craigslist.

Keep in mind that having ordered a car for you, it's a lot easier for the dealer to sell you the car than to sell it to someone else.

So, as long as you are prepared to walk away, you can still play hardball on your trade. Especially if it's at the end of the month and you tell him you might not be able to come in until next week to complete the paperwork.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a trade in value before i ordered mine and signed a piece of paper to hold the price even with the miles i put on the car.
I would never have thought that the dealership would do that. It sounds like ordered cars take a few months to arrive. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Figure out what price you would want for a trade in. If the dealer won't give it to you, Add $1500 and sell it on craigslist.

I sold my trade outright on Craigslist and got 2,500 more for it than I was offered on trade.

You can always do better selling outright and not having a trade.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Trade in

I got the trade in value before I ordered the car, I knew I wasn't going to be up side down, but I wanted to know how much they were going to give...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have ordered several cars in the past. In cases where I had a trade, the dealer agreed to a value on the trade at the time of order, gave me a mileage limit (very generous I might add) and then re-inspected the car to make sure there was no damage, etc. I always go the original agreed to price, even when I orderd a Pontiac in 1995 that took 12 weeks to be delivered.

The trick is finding the right dealer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have ordered several cars in the past. In cases where I had a trade, the dealer agreed to a value on the trade at the time of order, gave me a mileage limit (very generous I might add) and then re-inspected the car to make sure there was no damage, etc. I always go the original agreed to price, even when I orderd a Pontiac in 1995 that took 12 weeks to be delivered.

The trick is finding the right dealer.
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I will be able to find a dealer willing to do the same since auto sales are down this year.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I will be able to find a dealer willing to do the same since auto sales are down this year.
I've heard that used car prices are rising. Probably people deciding to buy a used car instead of a new car to save money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had gotten my trade in price before i ordered.

I even got more then we had agreed on when i picked up a car because i switched to a different car.

Someone else had ordered but when their car came in they could not agree on a price for their trade in so it fell threw and they put it on the lot.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I did what many of the above posters did, got my trade-in value when I ordered the car and got a piece of paper verifying it for when my new Mustang comes in. My dealer was great about it b/c he knows that I take good care of my vehicles and don't put a lot of miles on them so I'm pretty sure he'd honor the trade-in value even w/o the paper.

In regards to what you get, a bunch of factors come into play, too many to list. I got lucky in the fact that I'm pretty sure he's already got a buyer for my '02 b/c he was willing to give me high retail book price when I originally ordered a Base and didn't hesitate for a second before adding $1,750 to my trade-in value ($300 more than I paid for the car) when I cancelled the Base order and re-ordered a Premium.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I sold my trade outright on Craigslist and got 2,500 more for it than I was offered on trade.

You can always do better selling outright and not having a trade.
Yeah, I got $3k over trade in for a truck I sold on Craigslist, but it required a little patience.

The point is simply that if you're willing to price your car at "trade in" then you can sell it really easily on Craigslist for that price. Add a little to give you some haggle room, compensate for any loss in sales tax benefit on your new car purchase, and cover the increased hassle.

I'd predict that a car priced at "trade in" would last 48 hours on Craigslist.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The down side to selling it private, aside from having to deal with idtiots :) is that when you trade the vehicle in, you only pay tax on your new car for the remaining value after the trade in. So if you sell it private you have to take that into account when figuring out the price.

·
Registered
532 Posts

Me too - CYA, man!!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
The down side to selling it private, aside from having to deal with idtiots :) is that when you trade the vehicle in, you only pay tax on your new car for the remaining value after the trade in. So if you sell it private you have to take that into account when figuring out the price.
Yeah I forgot about that part of it, trading mine in cuts a third of the sales tax off :bigthumbsup.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Depends on the State. Cali doesn't even deduct REBATES when they calculate sales tax, much less the trade in. And then then charge the full 8.25% (or whatever it is this year.)

In Texas the sales tax is 6.25% and only on the net purchase after trade in and rebates.

·
Registered
49 Posts
GA taxes the vehicle after all discounts, trade in etc with the exception of the rebate; it is not considered a discount from MSRP, it is considered an after sale gift from the manufacturer, but nobody these days waits for the manufacturer to mail a check, the just sign it over to the dealer at time of purchase.

·
Registered
997 Posts
GA taxes the vehicle after all discounts, trade in etc with the exception of the rebate; it is not considered a discount from MSRP, it is considered an after sale gift from the manufacturer, but nobody these days waits for the manufacturer to mail a check, the just sign it over to the dealer at time of purchase.
I think that's how it's set up here in NY too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Depends on the State. Cali doesn't even deduct REBATES when they calculate sales tax, much less the trade in. And then then charge the full 8.25% (or whatever it is this year.)

In Texas the sales tax is 6.25% and only on the net purchase after trade in and rebates.
I think we can all agree that Cali is not normal, at this point in time they will do anything in their power to get any money coming into the state that they can lol :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.