Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trade-up for Boss -vs- Upgrades to Stock 5.0

So I'm on the fence about trading-up to a 2012 Boss 302 versus upgrading my currently 100% stock Mustang. I have the 3.73's from the factory, stock 18" wheels/tires, use my car as a daily driver with 17k miles in 9-months.

The things I want for Mustang 5.0 are:
- adjustable shocks (Tokico or Ford Racing)
- 1/2" lowering springs
- Ford Racing SVT or Boss 19x9/10 wheels and tires
- Brembo 14" Brake Kit
- Maybe a Tune and CAI kit
- Boss or SVT Steering wheel

All the items I listed above will cost about $6k, which could be used as money down towards the Boss.

What would you do, keep and modify my current, or swap for the Boss?

·
Super Moderator
2,338 Posts
If you trade your car in you are going to lose your A$$,second do you really want a BOSS 302 as a D/Driver they are really made for the track and lack a lot of comforts that the 5.0 has,I guess the answer is how deep are your pockets,and are you willing to give up a great 5.0 for a car that has less creature comforts,I would keep my 5.0.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Keep the GT +1 :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Keep the GT :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
264 Posts
Keep the GT- easier to enjoy it overall as DD than the Boss

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd rather throw a supercharger and new suspension and brakes on a GT than get a Boss. ... but I'm not that excited about the Boss in the first place. Glad they made it; I love when manufacturers get the stones to build a low production run hardcore version. But it's not for me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Unless you're planning on going to the track all the time...upgrade your current GT. Much better option for you it seems like. Granted, I say this and I don't ever plan on tracking my Boss...I just wanted something different. Not just another modded GT. But if you're just looking for go fast goodies, then upgrading your car is the best route. The Boss doesn't have many options, and that is a big deal breaker for a lot of people...so in the end it really comes down to what you need and/or want in a car.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
If it's acceptable coming from a V6 owner, I say keep the GT. With the right $$$ you can match or exceed the BOSS performance and be much more comfy in the process.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I agree with the others here: Keep the GT. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Boss Mustang. If I felt comfortable spending that kind of cash on a car, I'd have one in a second (preferably the Laguna Seca edition). But the GT is quite a capable car in its own right.

It sounds like what you want is a slightly spiffier GT. The Boss is more than just an appearance package---you get a lot of capability and if you're not going to use it, why buy it. You seem to want something between a GT and a Boss and you plan on modifying your car seems sound.

I very lightly optioned out my GT with the intention of slowly, over time, making it closer to Boss spec. But to me, modifying the car and seeing how the look and driving experience changes after you do something to the car is quite enjoyable. You might be happier watching the transformation of your car as it currently sits into something that is a better fit to what you actually want.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If someone put 17k miles on a Boss in 9 months I might shed a tear. Not so much of the mileage, obviously it is a car and should be driven, but all that abuse it was suffer as a DD. Keep the GT I'd say and make it a bigger beast than it already is :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
452 Posts
Keep the GT and mod it. All those mods listed dont add up to $6000 do they? I'd do the springs, shocks, struts first. Then do some nice axle-backs and go from there.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Before I bought my GT, I had a deposit on a Boss. The sales guy, after a very careful deliberation and a careful line of questioning as to how I would use my car and how much I drive per year, actually talked me out of buying a Boss. I would be doing that car a disservice. I would also be very paranoid about leaving it parked placed and having people ding it up. I ended up going with a GT Premium and I am much better off. I drive a lot, never hit the track (in a car at least), and really wanted the leather. I'd say, from a financial stand point, the GT makes more sense. The Boss makes sense if it's going to be your second car for either weekend cruising or track days. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If your current car is a base model than go for the Boss if you don't mind spending the extra money, but if you have a premium you might be better off modding it because you're sure to miss some of the options it has.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I vote boss. you get a collector item and a factory warranty. modding is one thing, coming with it from the factory (automatically warrantied) is another. also, the boss engine costs twice as much as a base coyote engine.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I vote keep the GT, there is not a huge horsepower gap, and the suspension can be just as good or better with aftermarket components. The only thing you will miss out on is the exclusivity of the car and the value in later years. I love the Premium GT!!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input guys, I'm starting to lean towards keeping my GT and putting the extra money into it.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, I'm starting to lean towards keeping my GT and putting the extra money into it.
If you need some extra "arm twisting" :p look up the 5.0 owner who's running 738 RWHP. I doubt he's regretting not buying a BOSS. :gringreen

Sorry, I can't remember his username, but he's been posting a lot lately. Pretty easy to find. He's in Louisiana.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Hard choice, but I would also keep the GT. I'm glad Ford brought the Boss back but I do prefer the GT, specially the GT/CS. ;)
I understand tho, that a Boss could be more of a collectible...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm in the exact same situation right now. You can get non-recaro cars for $40k. After having driven one, the differences are pronounced. Ultimately, I think I'm going to get one and it'll be a stop gap to the 2013 GT500. Look at depreciation too. If you get a Boss at sticker, itll hold value much better than a GT. I do MUCH prefer the GT premium interior though (the craptastic leather not withstanding)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts