Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm very happy with my 2013 Mustang V6 (base model), but I've been lately thinking about getting a manual GT.

My specs:
2013 Mustang V6
Automatic
Base model
22,000 km

The one I saw today:
2012 Mustang GT
Manual
Premium model
41,000 km

The dealer was asking $10k for the trade, I thought it was insane to pay that much for an older model, so I offered $8k. I think that with winter coming, they might take it.

Anyone thinks it insane to get an older model, with double of the mileage, and pay $8k more for it?

Oh, and I'm in Canada, so prices here are a little higher.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
That all depends. Do you have the title to your car? If not, and you are making payments, they can get you into a new GT for the same monthly payment. Shouldnt be too hard to pull.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That all depends. Do you have the title to your car? If not, and you are making payments, they can get you into a new GT for the same monthly payment. Shouldnt be too hard to pull.
I do have the title of my current car. Basically all I would have to do would be to pay the difference.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
For what it is worth, I bought my 2012 GT CS last November for $28,000. It was new and had sat on the lot for a year.

They gave me $17,000 on trade for my 2011 V6, so I had to pay $11,000 for the new car. However, it was a new car.

So I'm not sure if paying $8,000 for an older used car a year later makes much sense.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I do have the title of my current car. Basically all I would have to do would be to pay the difference.
I personally would never buy used. Thats just me though. Nevertheless i highly recommend you get yourself into a GT one way or another... as long as it financially viable i suppose.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For what it is worth, I bought my 2012 GT CS last November for $28,000. It was new and had sat on the lot for a year.

They gave me $17,000 on trade for my 2011 V6, so I had to pay $11,000 for the new car. However, it was a new car.

So I'm not sure if paying $8,000 for an older used car a year later makes much sense.
Wow, $28,000 for a GT here in Canada seems really cheap. The cheapest 2012 GT that I could found was this one that I'm looking right now, and it costs $27 + taxes. Brand new GTs are in the range of >$33k.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I personally like the looks of the 2011-12 models more than the newer versions. But then again that's just me for what its worth.

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
If it won't strap you to much and it is what you truly want I say go for it you only live once and I don't think you'll regret it once behind the wheel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Assuming finances allow, Manual > Automatic:)

·
Registered
256 Posts
If it won't strap you to much and it is what you truly want I say go for it you only live once and I don't think you'll regret it once behind the wheel.
Bingo! As a 48 year old I can tell you as long as your not wracking up debt. The memories made by owning a Muscle car will stay with you the rest of your life.
Life will get costly and busy for you later when family time comes. But every so often you will look back on those cars and the memories you made with them and smile. Go for it. Youth you only get to spend once evrything else comes and goes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sold my 2014 v6 base for a 2011 gt/cs, it was absolutely worth it but I gave them my v6 which had 9000 miles on it for a gt with 5000. I might have felt differently about it if it the gt had over 40000 miles on it, but the gt had all the options I wanted and I bought it for 23k so it was an opportunity I couldn't pass and i have no regrets about doing it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
728 Posts
I personally would never buy used. Thats just me though.
+1. I would never buy a used Mustang unless I knew the owner. I don't know where I heard it, but the Mustang is probably the most "mod-able" car there is and is subject to some real abuse. I would be really leery of what tunes the car might have, has had or what it has been through etc. That's just me....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's an update:

The dealer would not go under $10k for the trade. Considering that the car had 41k km on it and mine 22k km, with a year of warranty left, I thought it wasn't worth the money.

Then I went to a Ford dealer and they had a 2012 GT convertible with only 18k km on it + ford racing suspension + ford racing exhaust + brembo brakes. All that would cost my 2013 V6 + $12k. That, although more pricey, seemed more interesting. But again, I'm not sure if getting a V8 + premium stuff is worth $12k...

·
Administrator
13,273 Posts
It all comes down to what you really want & what you are willing & comfortable to do to get it. In my case I traded a `13 V6 `vert for a `13 GT `vert. I only did it because they gave me a decent trade for my V6, & took over $9,000 off the sticker of the GT. Did I lose some money on the deal? Probably, but I`m happy with the decision.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Wow, $28,000 for a GT here in Canada seems really cheap. The cheapest 2012 GT that I could found was this one that I'm looking right now, and it costs $27 + taxes. Brand new GTs are in the range of >$33k.
Yeah it was a crazy deal. After a couple of weeks of back and forth via email I made them the offer. Never imagined they would accept it. After they said yes I basically had no choice but to buy it lol

·
Registered
946 Posts
Have you driven a GT+manual? It will drive very differently than a V6+auto. You should know immediately if you think it's worth the price.

Another thing to consider is that while a lot of people seem to trade in their V6 for a V8, I have yet to hear of someone who has a desire to go from a V8 to a V6.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you have a v6 with clear title paid for. You really should consider a brand new 2013-14 GT. The rebates should put the car under 30k and your v6 should be worth roughly 18-20k. I bet you could get a new one with full factory warranty and only have to pony up 10-12k. Just something to ponder. But of you Go that route don't tell them you want to trade dont even bring your current car until you have agreed on a price for the new car. When they ask about a trade just tell them you will discuss that later after there is an agreement made on a fair price for the new mustang. In other words don't show them your cards. Haggle the price down. Then once you think it's a good price that's when you spring the trade on them. Also know what the trade in value is for your car before you go. That way you know your getting a fair deal there too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Of you have a v6 with clear title and paid for. You really should consider a brand new 2013-14 GT. The rebates will pit the car under 30k and your car should be worth roughly 18-20k. I bet you could get a new one with full factory warranty and only have to pony 10-12k. Just something to ponder. But of you Go that route don't tell them you want to trade or even bring your current car until you have agreed on a price for the new car. When they ask about a trade just tell them you will discuss that later after there is an agreement made on a fair price for the new mustang. On other words don't show them your cards. Haggle the price down. Then once you think it's a good price that's when you spring the trade on them. Also know what is the trade in value on your car before you go. That way you know your getting a fair deal there too.
He's in Canada, they pay inflated prices for Mustang GTs. He's going to have a hard time getting a Gt for under $30K.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Maybe so. But if resale is that high he should still be able to get close to 20k for his low mileage v6. So he should be able to get into a NEW GT for his car plus 10-12k.

Your car is worth between 17500 and 19200 according to Canadian black book. That's trade in value not private party sale. So looking at that you should be able to negotiate a deal at roughly 30k for a new one leaving a balance of right at 11-12k. Base GT sticker price in your area is 34000. There is a 6000 rebate in the GT right now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe so. But if resale is that high he should still be able to get close to 20k for his low mileage v6. So he should be able to get into a NEW GT for his car plus 10-12k.

Your car is worth between 17500 and 19200 according to Canadian black book. That's trade in value not private party sale. So looking at that you should be able to negotiate a deal at roughly 30k for a new one leaving a balance of right at 11-12k.
That's my main point for this topic: Price difference. Some people say that it is definately worth to trade an automatic V6 for a manual GT, but that I already know, of course the GT would be preferred by everyone. The point is that if paying $12k for that difference is worth it, or am I paying to much.

I don't think I would be able to get a brand new GT. The cheapest one I could find was $36k + taxes, so even if they pay $20k for mine, at the end I would have to pay somewhere around $20k more for the GT.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts