Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
67 Coupe
289 4bbl

I have a C4 automatic which leaks transmission fluid from the spleen whenever the drive train is turning. I've recently replaced the tail shaft seal wich seemed to fix the problem for a while but now it is worse. Ii went from a slow leak to gushing. I sincerly hope I wont have to but I don't have the tools or room to drop the transmission myself. To find a mechanic in my town that knows anything about cars built before 1985 would take some doing and still cost a lot. I'm hopeing one of you can help me isolate the problem and hopefuly fix it myself. Ask any and all questions, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. Thank you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
One of the following can cause that problem:

Damage to the oil seal attached to the output shaft, Damage to the driveshaft yoke, excess fluid, damage to the rear case bushing. The seal you replaced is really more of a dust seal than an oil seal. You can remove the extension housing from the transmission without pulling it. Try removing the driveshaft and going over the outer suface with a crocus cloth. Make sure the dust seal is installed with the hole in the ribber pointing up, pull the extension housing and replace the output shaft seal. As a last resort, you can try replacing the extension housing. Any other repairs will require pulling the transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.