Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have the problem of the engine reving 1500 - 2000 r.p.m. when coasting i neutral with the clutch out? When you put the the clutch in the revs come down to idle 750 rpm. but it's hard on my old knee to hold the clutch in on long coasts. Also it's embarassing to coast up to a stop with the engine reving @2000 rpm ( can't always hear engine in car (shaker 500)) but occasionly it only revs 1000 rpm.
Is there any way to wire up a n/o P.B. to refrence the throttle back to an idle.
P.S. is there a sensor on the tranny input shaft or something.
otherwise my MUSTANG is a perfect car

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If you're coasting up to a stop at around 2k, sometihng is wrong. Coasting speed im guessing maybe around 5-10 mph? If it is I would get thatchecked out. Cuz you can usually shift at 2k RPMS. So the engine shouldn't be anywhere close to that in neutral or coasting at that speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in the country and if i come over a hill doing 65 mph and have a stop at 1/2 mile slight downhill I like to coast as I'm still going 50 mph 100 yards from the stop. or in the city i coast whenever possible .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fly-by-wire

I get this sometimes, too - pretty sure it's the result of computers, hydraulic clutch. It's not at bad as yours sounds, mine comes up to 1200 or 1500. always idles at 1k though, I think.

Speaking of all this, what are normal RPM's for normal driving conditions? In other words, when shifting into 2nd, what RPM should I be at? 3rd? etc.

Is it better to stay in gear or shift to neutral and coast if a stop is certain? How about gas mileage? Is a certain technique better? I noticed the auto is very consistant when shifting (normal driving). Up to 3K, shift, down to 2K, up to 3K, shift, etc.

Do other manual box drivers rev up a bit when downshifting to bring the clutch up to speed? Any decent online references?

I'm teaching my sweety to drive the new pony and I don't want to pass on any bad habits or misconceptions.

Any links with info, photos, etc for the v6 4.0 manual stock tranny?

Thanks,

·
Registered
419 Posts
T-5

ssoss said:
I get this sometimes, too - pretty sure it's the result of computers, hydraulic clutch. It's not at bad as yours sounds, mine comes up to 1200 or 1500. always idles at 1k though, I think.

Speaking of all this, what are normal RPM's for normal driving conditions? In other words, when shifting into 2nd, what RPM should I be at? 3rd? etc.

Is it better to stay in gear or shift to neutral and coast if a stop is certain? How about gas mileage? Is a certain technique better? I noticed the auto is very consistant when shifting (normal driving). Up to 3K, shift, down to 2K, up to 3K, shift, etc.

Do other manual box drivers rev up a bit when downshifting to bring the clutch up to speed? Any decent online references?

I'm teaching my sweety to drive the new pony and I don't want to pass on any bad habits or misconceptions.

Any links with info, photos, etc for the v6 4.0 manual stock tranny?

Thanks,
Try this:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/media/pdfs_autogen/T-5_Service_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got the same issue with my 4.0L 6. Doesn't just happen coasting either. I'll come to a complete stop and put the tranny in neutral and the engine will remain at 1800rpm for 3-5 seconds and then it comes down to the proper idle rpm of 750. It will do it coasting as well...as a matter of fact, if you coast it Never idles down until I come to a stop. Kinda thought it was programmed that way to prevent excessive loading should an errant downshift be attempted. Other than that, and a burned out high brake light (already, 2600miles) the car has been great.

Be interesting to hear if this needs fixing or if it's just part of the "character" of this car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed it to when coming off the highway at 100mph+ that the idle drops then picks back up. I've been doing more downshifting and that seems to help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
my 4.0 manual does exactly that when coasting also, but if you coast a long time (I was stuck in a 2hr traffic jam coming down from the mountains on the freeway) it would rev to 2k when coasting, then drop to ~800, then go back up. I never put the clutch in or put it in gear. Very annoying, but I'm sure it is some arcane computer/emissions strategy that wasn't programmed taking coasting into consideration. It also hangs at about 1100 when slipping it into neutral coming up to a red light, it comes down to 750 when you brake to a complete stop.

It's too much fun to drive to complain much, plus I've got an SCT tune in it and don't want the dealer scanning the computer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
:weeps The clutch is to hard to hold in? WTF? Ever driven a Cobra, that is a somewhat stiff clutch. These new cars with the hydraulic clutches are like paper weigths.

·
Registered
17 Posts
alfman9 said:
:weeps The clutch is to hard to hold in? WTF? Ever driven a Cobra, that is a somewhat stiff clutch. These new cars with the hydraulic clutches are like paper weigths.
:thumbdown well it's not my leg I care about, I do have some consideration for the throwout bearing, clutch disc and first gear synchros when needlessly changing from neutral to first about 100 times in a mile (during a 45 minute period). But then I'm an ASE Master Auto Tech, so I think about things like this. WTF do you think about?

·
Registered
914 Posts
If you are coasting and in neutral, why would you be HOLDING the clutch in? Just let it out until you are ready to pull it in gear again. There is no need to be holding the clutch in for that period of time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
allstateguy said:
I never put the clutch in or put it in gear. Very annoying, but I'm sure it is some arcane computer/emissions strategy that wasn't programmed taking coasting into consideration.
I just checked the idle strategy programmed by Ford into the PCM. It keeps the idle up when coasting in neutral to keep the O2 sensors hot enough to provide good input for the computer. Mystery solved.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Please ignore my previous post in this thread (the edit option timed out) - apparently I do not know how to READ! :dunce:

jiobao said:
If you are coasting and in neutral, why would you be HOLDING the clutch in? Just let it out until you are ready to pull it in gear again. There is no need to be holding the clutch in for that period of time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Idle Program

Over the last several years, it can be noticed that engines in general rev down slower. The purpose is to reduce the output of Nitrogen oxides emitted from the engine. Now the question. Does anyone know how to bypass this "Feature" and cause the engine to rev down as if it had a carb???

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
TopLess_05 said:
Over the last several years, it can be noticed that engines in general rev down slower. The purpose is to reduce the output of Nitrogen oxides emitted from the engine. Now the question. Does anyone know how to bypass this "Feature" and cause the engine to rev down as if it had a carb???
An AM Flywheel without a 'keep the revs up' tune would help... and give you some more power! :happyhapp

·
Registered
67 Posts
TopLess_05 said:
I have the problem too. Here's the thing its not like it was at 2000rpms to begin with, at 45mph the tach is around 1100rpms or so and when put in nuetral with clutch out it revs up faster than if it was in gear(2000rpms) I don't go with the whole : it revs up to keep the O2 sensor hot WTF then why don't all EFI engines do this?........Because it's a load of crap. There is a problem!......and with gas @ $2.67 a gallon I'll shut the damb thing off as it coasts with the key still turned on so I can steer.:winks Oh and why doesn't if rev up when the clutch is pressed in?..........shoots that: to keep the O2 sensor hot thing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well I don't have my car yet, but I'm with Erie. Gas is too darned expensive for the engine to be idling at 2000rpm with the clutch out. I guess I'll have my clutch in a lot.

Is there no tune that could do away with this? I thought you could do all sorts of things with these neat tuning computers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts