Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I was surfin the web and came across a site that had an adapter that fits on top of the manual tranny and shifted the stock shifters' pivot point up, thereby shortening the shifter movement and giving the effect of a short shifter.

Many years ago we did this with VW Beetles.

I have searched and searched since then and cannot refind the site.

Anybody know of a source?

Tnx Fred
:worship

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hmmm. Are your sure this was for an '05/06?? Because having been under there and getting fairly familiar with the shifter setup, it doesn't sound right.

The shifter setup on these cars is really more of a "remote shifter". The shifter doesn't bolt to the trans at all as you'd expect on the usual Tremec or New Venture (if you swing that way) top-loader setup. Nor does it connect via two or more linkages like on an old Muncie, Saginaw, or Ford 4-speed. Can't speak for the Bug since I only ever tore one of those apart and don't remember.

Anyway, what we get instead, is one think square rod that is on a swivel, connected to the trans input. The other end of this linkage attaches to the seperate shifter ass'y which is bolted to the floorpan and front of the trans (just for stabilizing it). It's pretty clear you can raise or lower the shifter ass'y to your heart's content and I don't think anything is going to happen travel-wise. Becuase that single square linkage rod is on a full swivel anyway.

That's why the current offering of aftermarket shifters involve replacing the entire shifter assembly with a unit that has a raised pivot point IN the shifter assembly itself. They just raise the ball-pivot, and then lengthen the shifter stick at below the ball-pivot, and there you go.

Also, the shifter assembly mounts to the bottom of the floorpan/trans tunnel, so also I see no easy way to raise it, even if you were able to lengthen the bottom shaft of the shifter. Instead, the shifter assembly itself has to be modified to have a raised pivot point. You can see this if you study the attached picture of the stock vs. Hurst shifter unit closely.

So you can see why it's very questionable if this part you found really was for the S197 model, yeah?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/Torq/Stoop/Hurst_02.jpg

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
KiLLeR_WoMBaT said:
Which one of those in the picture is the stock and which is the mod?
The shifter on top is the Hurst unit, the black shifter on the bottom is the stock unit. Here's a blown-up section of the two shifter bases, I tried to point out how the Hurst has the pivot area elevated - you can see it has a taller "neck" on it from the base to the top lip of the circular housing. That's how they moved the leverage point up to get shorter throw. The whole shifter mounts under the floorpan, so thats why I say there's no other way to raise it other than move the pivot point up by making a taller "neck". Hope that explains it.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/Torq/Stoop/HurstPivot.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts