Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, does someone offer a complete rebuild kit for the T45 that includes new synchros? Also, I will have an extra T56 from a GM F-body that is getting a TH400. I know I can get a clutch disc to handle the spline difference. Where can I get a bellhousing to accept the factory style clutch cable and fork? Also, what about the tranny crossmember? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
You'll need to find out if they accept the same driveshaft splines and length, as well as the wiring for the speedo, etc. For the bellhousing, it shouldn't be too hard to find. For a great T45 rebuild I'd talk to Richard, he's a member on here, his handle is rj886, pm him and he can tell you everything you need about either option. You can also call Walt at Promotion Powertrain in Pompano, FL. Both Richard and Walt are wizards when it comes to manual transmissions, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
You can only put a 4.6L Ford specific T56 in a 99-04 Mustang due to the bellhousing and shifter location (I think the spline counts might be different as well as the input shaft length or pilot bearing dimensions)

If you want to install a Cobra or 4.6L specific T56 in your car, make sure it has the electronic speedometer or it won't work.

Here is a link to the T45 to T56 Swap I did a while back. :bigthumbsup

T45 to T56 swap into 99-04 GT - ModularFords.com

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I don't consider swapping the F-Body 56 into the Mustang a practical project. It CAN be done, but I just don't see it as being worth the effort.

You're right about the spline counts being different, the Ford is 31 and the GM is 27.

Your existing T45 doesn't have a seperate bell housing, its one piece. I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf bellhousings that solve this problem, probably because of the other issues...

The input shaft is a larger diameter than the Ford, so it won't ft the pilot bearing, and the length doesn't match.

The Ford and GM electronic speedos are incompatible.

The GM shifter is about 4" too far back (a result of the difference in components and layout between the Fords and GMs).

I think there are some other problems, too. Maybe those tranny mounts you mention. I am sure they don't match, but since I haven't been involved with actually DOING all this long list of custom one-offs to make it work, I don't know what would have to be changed or fabricated. I think working over some tranny mounts to fit would be the least of the worries.

NONE of this is impossible to overcome, but taken altogether, the payoff is just not there.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
First, does someone offer a complete rebuild kit for the T45 that includes new synchros? Also, I will have an extra T56 from a GM F-body that is getting a TH400. I know I can get a clutch disc to handle the spline difference. Where can I get a bellhousing to accept the factory style clutch cable and fork? Also, what about the tranny crossmember? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

If you know specifically what you need for the T45 rebuild, PM me the list and I will get you the prices. If you are looking for a "package" deal to rebuild it, try http://www.thegearbox.org/T45.html The guys there are great and they have a "rebuild kit package deal". :bigthumbsup

As for the F-body T56, I have to agree with what everyone else already said. It can be done, but why waste the money to convert it? I have an adapter plate that bolts to the front of that T56 and then enables you to bolt up a bell housing but because the Ford bell is deeper than a GM bell, the input shaft would not catch the pilot bearing. You would have to switch to Viper input ( $$$$$$$), front adapter plate and then figure out how to get Ford style cable linkage adapted to it :scratchchin.
Then, as TripleBlack pointed out, the shifter location is not going to be close, so you will have to modify the tunnel opening in the car and then figure out the crossmember.
IMO, your best bet is to sell the GM T56 and find a TUET 1259 T56 (mechanical speedo) or a TUET 1260 T56 (electronic speedo) for your car as it was built specifically for the mustang platform and the 4.6 modular motor. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is why I asked. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, does any one know where I can get an overhaul manual for the T45?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
BTW, does any one know where I can get an overhaul manual for the T45?

Tremec does not have one available yet on their website, but I happen to have one at work. :D
If you can wait till Monday and have a fax number I can fax you a copy. If you prefer, I can mail you the pages instead. There are ALOT of pages, so this might be a better option. It will take me awhile to print it all out but anything for a Mustang brother... :bigthumbsup
PM me your name and adress or fax number and I will contact you Monday morning.

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent a PM to you with my address.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.