Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently put a fresh new engine in my car and after putting everything back together with a new throwout bearing and king cobra stage 2 clutch and new flywheel it will not shift into 1st or reverse. right after the build it was hard going into all gears then started grinding real bad into reverse and refused to go into reverse and now just will not go in 1st also. since i had a stock clutch before should i have to get an adjustable clutch cable to tighten the clutch since its a racing clutch now? and help would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Can you get into great with vehicle off?
Do you have the stock quadrant?
It's rather crappy. Definitely replace it. I replaced mine with a billet teaching one from Ford, included adjustable cable. They even make some with adjustable at the firewall.

I had same problem as you, this fixed mine.

______
-1988 Mustang GT hatch
Trick Flow Specialties Stage 1 cam, Mac long tube headers, Mac prochamber, Spintech super pro street mufflers, gt40p heads/intake, Crane beehive springs, hardened pushrods, underdrive pulleys, no smog, electric fan, 70maf sensor, bbk 70mm throttle body, Hotchkis suspension CC plates, welded subframe connectors, dual friction clutch, 3.73 gears positraction, freezing cold AC

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea it does, i might just go ahead and replace that then, i will let you know if it solves my problem

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didnt do anything, it will shift when it is off but wont when it is on so something is up with the clutch and not stopping the flywheel, any ideas?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ok great, glad you have it installed cause you'll need it with that clutch. Bad it didn't fix the problem tho.
I am willing to bet, if you switch out the throw out bearing to the stock one, it'll fix your problem. this is my last idea, but very confident in it. Please let me know, I'll keep eye on this thread.

______
-1988 Mustang GT hatch
Trick Flow Specialties Stage 1 cam, Mac long tube headers, Mac prochamber, Spintech super pro street mufflers, gt40p heads/intake, Crane beehive springs, hardened pushrods, underdrive pulleys, no smog, electric fan, 70maf sensor, bbk 70mm throttle body, Hotchkis suspension CC plates, welded subframe connectors, dual friction clutch, 3.73 gears positraction, freezing cold AC

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I will try that, what would be the difference between the one that came with the clutch and the stock one? also if most of the bolts on the bottom where it connects the engine and transmission are missing could that cause the transmission to maybe to line up correctly, most are in except about maybe 4 or 5?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I know a throw out bearing is the weak link in a clutch system, but seen it recommended using the stock one after upgraded the clutch. Which is why I offered that suggestion to you.
And the bolt issue, under stress when driving it won't shift properly if not aligned. And why if shifts normal when car off.
I had an issue where my drive shaft caused misalignment and clearance issues. The car wouldn't shift into first, grinded into 2, and coasting in neutral, I could feel the notches in the gear thru the shifter to it was very light.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok sweet, and was just looking thru boxes of parts i put on and found the pilot bearing still in the box, i didnt put it in, i assume this is my problem then?

·
Registered
442 Posts
ok sweet, and was just looking thru boxes of parts i put on and found the pilot bearing still in the box, i didnt put it in, i assume this is my problem then?
Wow bingo, I would think the input shaft would be putting strain on the clutch disc, blocking you out of shifts. Definitely get that bank in there lol. great thing you caught it before some damage

______
-1988 Mustang GT hatch

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha its all good now, only thing is i cant downshift into third any ideas? thank you very much!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Loll Baddass glad it's good mostly for ya ;)
Does it make noise when you downshift? I an leaning toward clutch adjustment but could possibly be blocking ring or bad synchronizer (hope not) and assuming you're using ATF and not gear oil in the transmission.

______
-1988 Mustang GT hatch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts