Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently I was shopping around because I need to get a new crossmember (mine is all rusted out) and came across a slight dilemma. There are two different types of aftermarket mounts, the solid and the urethane. My car is street driven so what would be the best choice. Is one for the track and one for the street? I don't get it. :confused:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Solid mounts transfer more noise and vibrations. I would go with the urethane mounts, that is what I plan on doing.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Pretty much what PONY said. If it is mostly a street car get the poly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
and remember you cant use a solid trans mount with stock rubber motor mounts!!! because the rubber motor mounts will allow flex while the solid trans mount will not, putting alot of stress between the two.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh you guys are always so helpful lol thanks a lot. And as for the last comment I did not know that but it does make sense, thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Actually, if the car is stock (or close to stock), the stock rubber mount is plenty strong enough.

While polyurethane is much stronger, it is also less forgiving and even it will transmit noises and slight vibrations up into the cab of car. In fact, it will act like an amplifier and take a small minor noise/vibration and cause it to sound/appear alot worse than it really is.

Polyurethane is great for motors making over 500hp. Anything less than that, rubber is just fine. :bigthumbsup

PS...Like already mentioned, stay away from solid unless you are making insane power and have solid motor mounts as well.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I went with the Energy suspension trans/motor mount kit for my convertible. They great looking piece just the transmission mount you have to open up the hole a little to make it fit right, its in the instructions. Should be good enough for when the turbo kit is done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts