Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.....I'm getting pretty pissed off at ford's T-45 Trans. I have put 2 of those trans. in my car now and both of them in a matter of a couple of years have had the syncros go out. So..........I'm thinking about going with an auto trans out of a 04. What all will I need to do to make that work, and will it? If anything, if I can get the 5 spd trans I have now to last long enough, I wanna put a T-56 6spd in it, figure they're a lot stouter. Let me know what you all think. Thank you

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I'd go with the t56...I've had no problems ever with my T45 and it even has 450 hp in front of it...are you just thrashing yours? I've had mine rebuilt one time with updated synchros and it shifts like a dream

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
^ Same here i have not put alot of miles on mine but i can tell you this....most falures to manual trannys are due to lack of shifting properly/rapping it all the time!

Do you have a short throw shifter with adjustable stops?? If not i highly suggest one helps out alot and keeps from the problem of over throwing and putting not needed pressure on the shift forks.

How much power are you putting down?? Just like it was stated T45 will be fine at 450 HP but much more your pushing it!

How are you driving the car/shifting??? If your racing the car/power shifting (rapping the poor thing) all the time your gonna run into this problem and a stock auto isnt gonna last much longer!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reply to all

I would love to go with the T56 trans, but I dont have thousand of dollars to spend on one. Unless somebody knows of one in fairly good shape, and decently priced. I feel I drive the car just fine, I put a freshly rebuilt trans in it 2 yrs ago and the syncros are out again. I'm lucky to get a little over 300hp out of it. So power is not an issue. Just wanted to know what it would take to put and auto trans in it. Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Where are you getting these tranny's?

The guy that rebuilt mine he put carbon syncro's in mine not sure how much better they are but i cant see how your going through tranny's like that and im no tranny expert but i would say a short throw shifter might help you if you dont have one and making sure your clutch is adjusted properly.....if your not racing the hell out of it alot then you have to be doing something wrong, or your getting junk tranny's I cant imagine syncro's going bad in a couple of years if your driving your car right also you dont need a t56 unless you plan on making well over 450hp!

In my mind to put a auto in your car you would need the tranny, flexplate, wiring harness for the auto, either an auto ECU or if you can tune yours to know there is an auto now insteed of a manual.....other things im sure i just dont know for sure its alot more work to switch from manual to auto than it used to be before all this electronic stuff!!

On another note if you compare the price to install an auto verses buying a built t45 you may not be far from it there is built t45's that will handle a little more than the stock rated t45 but screwing up syncro's sounds like more of a personal problem to me not to bash you or anything all due respect!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Nah, thats cool man, i can take a little constructive input. I have a short throw shifter in it now. Yeah the trans thats in there now, I'm pretty sure I got ripped off. It never, from day one shifted right. I'll probably just have it rebuilt, with all the good stuff. Thanks again for the advice. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
No problem man more than happy to help you out but like i said not trying to make you mad or hurt your feelings.

The guy that rebuilt my T45 does it for a living my mom went to a local mustang shop and asked if they do tranny rebuilds the owner said no but refered her to a friend who does it for a living so i called him up currently i was in tech school for the Air Force by the way in Texas but i told him the problem he said he would do it on his own time since i was in no hurry he would make a decent price for me i asked him to call or text me when he found out what the damage was....i broke the shift fork from 1st to 2nd he said it was more than likely the stock shifter plus shifting hard on it and there was some good wear on the syncro's so i told him to fix that and replace anything else that would need replacing to avoid future problems so he did the shift forks, carbon syncro's, bearing kit, and all new seals parts and labor it cost me $1175 he gave me a one year warrenty or so many miles i cant remember the miles but he was a honest straight up guy when i got back home and looked at my tranny it looked brand new and to go along with the tranny i installed a new b&m ripper shifter, b&m trick shift tranny fluid, spec stage 2 clutch kit, and steeda clutch cable kit....so far no problems and my tranny shifts so much smoother!

Just keep in mind how much it is gonna cost to get a rebuild get some quotes on it make sure they have a good rep and i would try someone who has worked on mustang trannys also.

Look at AmericanPowertrain its a sponsered site one of the members works there and it is located in Tn. Good Luck !!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks again bro. Yeah......as soon as I'm loaded like you are, I'll get the same thing done on mine. LOL. No, but really, times are rough for me right now, eventually I will get it done though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts