Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transformation/Conversion, 1998 Mustang GT into a Cobra

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  79stangghia 
#1 ·
Anyone have any advice for me. I have a 98 GT I'm gonna be turning it into a Cobra but gonna do it the rite way. I mean everything includeing the engine and all. I wanna do that cuase wear I'm currently at financially I can't afford a real Cobra from the factory so I wanna build my own. I'm open to any suggestions and advice just want some other opinions is all.

G
#4 ·
I can tell you now it aint gonna' be cheap and 1999 up ALL Mustangs have a returnless fuel system, so if you use a DOHC engine from 1999 to 2004, you'll have to change the fuel system too, from the tank foward....

#5 ·
I agree with Randy on the expense of the swap of the 99-04 Cobra's. I would try and find a 97/98 cobra engine to swap.

#6 ·
With the 96-98 Cobra blocks you get get the Aluminum Teksid blocks, which are super sweet. Also why not do a better upgrade on the suspension than the stock Cobra suspension. The Cobra suspension is ok but it can certainly be upgraded. Get some rear end gears in there as well to help you get into the Cobra's power band faster. I don't really like the Cobra bumper from 94-98 but the Cobra R bumper is something different and it does help with airflow over and under the car.

#9 ·
I agree if you want a Cobra that bad you might just have to trade your 98 GT in for one unless you want to spend a ton of money on this project. Good luck either way, tell us how it goes.

#10 ·
It will be easier to just get the Cobra, but if you are planning on doing this over time and can't afford the cost up front, converion is the way to go. I personally would try to find a wrecked cobra for parts. Also, you can pick and choose what you want as far as performance. If you want a stocker then get stock parts. But if you want to upgrade cobra parts, buy aftermarket so you don't pay for a part twice (original and then upgrade).

The 96-98 Cobra's are kinda unique. They were the first Mustang since the 60s to have over 300 hp stock. The DOHC is a great setup and with a power adder, like a supercharger, they can make as hp as an 03-04 Cobra and be reliable.

So, do what you want and can afford. You must deside, once that happens we will be here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.