Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
if my t56 chatters is that bad? i know the the t-5s do it. when its idling you can hear like a clacking noise. could it be low fluid, or even a syncro? i dont think its the throw out bearing, the clutch is fairly new. any ideas?

·
Registered
941 Posts
if it was the through out it would only make the noise when you push in the clutch

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, your always a huge help

·
Registered
69 Posts
does the noise happen when the cluctch is disengaged and go away when you engage it? if so i'd check the throw out. i had the same problem w mine. we ended rebuilding my tranny for no reason and it turned out being the throw out and the front pinion case (not sure if thats wat its called, little slow today).

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
if my t56 chatters is that bad? i know the the t-5s do it. when its idling you can hear like a clacking noise. could it be low fluid, or even a syncro? i dont think its the throw out bearing, the clutch is fairly new. any ideas?
I sent you a PM but I was trying to clarify what you meant by chattering?
Typically, a bad throw out bearing will only make noise when you push the clutch in. A bad pilot bearing will "chatter" when the clutch pedal is not depressed and if it is really bad, could make noise all of the time whether the clutch is in or not.
Check the gap between the throw out and the fingers on the pressure plate first. There should be a 1/4" gap between the 2 when the pedal is up at the rest position. If it is not adjusted correctly and is in constant contact, that's bad and could be the source of your noise.

Just to clarify something here...I do not work for Tremec. What I do is work in tech support for a Tremec distributor, Keisler Engineering. What we do, is take the Tremec TKO and the T56 and retro-fit them into classic musclecars. We put together kits that allow you to change your muscle car from the factory 3 speed, 4 speed or automatic and convert it into a modern 5 or 6 speed setup.:bigthumbsup

Richard

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey i think you guys were right, the sound is deffinetly more pronounced when the clutch is depressed and the tranny in nuetral. how long can i go on a bad t/o bearing? and is it bad if i keep the way it is for now?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
hey i think you guys were right, the sound is deffinetly more pronounced when the clutch is depressed and the tranny in nuetral. how long can i go on a bad t/o bearing? and is it bad if i keep the way it is for now?

PM sent.... basically, I would not wait too long before tearing into it and find the issue. I have seen bad throw out bearings come apart and take the clutch with it. I have also seen bad pilot bearings seize up and wipe out the input shaft.
I'm sure between all of us here on AFM, that we can walk you right thru the repair, don't waste money on a mechanic if you don't have to.:bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO Transmission Systems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.