Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling the tired old 260 out of my car, with its auto and installing a fresh rebuilt roller 5.0 motor, carb'd for a classic look and feel.

I need to buy a transmission still, and I have 2 lined up as of this second.

5.0 TREMEC T5 TRANS W/ BELLHOUSING + CLUTCH FORK
needs input shaft bearing - 200$

Mustang Gt T5-5speed year is 94-95 - I think i got him down to 200$ or less

Which 1 is better for fitting/Performance?

I want it to bolt right up to my 5.0, and fit just fine, and handle some good power.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
do a google search, it's a well hashed out topic

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you drive like an adult, the T5 works fine. Slamming your shifts is a recipe for disaster with a stock T5.

Be careful with a used T5 with known problems. Odds are the trans is broken due to abuse, therefore the input bearing may be only ONE of many internal problems.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the guy im speaking to wants 200$ for a T-5 that went into a 86 mustang, as a replacement to the original, but then got totaled soon after.
said just may need a input bearing.

I need a trans for a daily driver, that can handle a tiny bit of abuse on a rare occasion.

I google search alot, and it doesnt help much when im trying to deciefer numbers, dates and some bullcrap.

·
Registered
831 Posts
So the trans was relatively new when the car got totaled and STILL needs an input bearing? Don't walk from that transmission, RUN.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright, yea sounds good.
Now I just need to figure out where can i find one for my car.

The car is currently auto, I have a 4 speed toploader from another mustang, but i REALLY want the overdrive.

this 65 is gonna be my cruising car, going places, on trips w/e.
I plan on putting alot of miles on it, so im swapping the motor for now, and want to have the manual.

If i was gonna get a used one, cause of my budget, what years/mileage do I look for.
I have been checking craigslist but as seen somethings sound fishy.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I agree on the O/D. It totally changed the character of the car. If you need to save up to get a 5 speed, your patience will be rewarded.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
A 94/95 the shifter is father back and won't line up with the stock hole.So unless you want to cut a new hole you need a t5 from a fox body.I would find a dirt cheap core have it rebuilt and beefed up or spend the cash for a tko.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
A 94/95 the shifter is father back and won't line up with the stock hole.So unless you want to cut a new hole you need a t5 from a fox body.I would find a dirt cheap core have it rebuilt and beefed up or spend the cash for a tko.

:bigthumbsup

As others have already said, don't go with a T5 that "might need an input shaft bearing". If it truly needs an input shaft bearing that is just the start of the issues that is likely internal...

You can find a decent core T5 cheap but make sure you have it gone through and rebuilt so you know what you have to start with once you start driving the car. Heck a brand new Cobra spec T5 from us is only $1295 and it's brand new AND comes with a 2 year warranty and it has the favored 2.95 1st gear and the .63 5th.

If you plan on doing any "spirited" driving, spend the extra $$$ and get a TKO. :bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts