Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble getting the stock transmission dipstick tube to work on my mustang II. The transmission is a later model c4 but i have custom headers which causes the stock one to not fit (i have the mustang II v8 bell housing). I've looked at some flexible dipstick tubes but they are push in types. Do those work?, but any other ideas would be nice. I thought about getting the original tube re-bent to make a sharper L shape out of the transmission fluid pan. What kind of shop could i get that done at?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the Lokar dipstick tube and it works very well. I also have one on my 1924 roadster with on problems.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sorry but the push in will not work. I had a c4 with the dipstick in the pan on my 63 fairlane and it hit the headers on mine as well. I mide a pie cut in the side of the tube and bent it so it would clear. Then I welded it up after removing it. would not want to get slag in my trans.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm bringing up this old thread again because I got the dipstick tube to fit but it touches the header in two spots about 1/2 inch long. Now I'm assuming this is still not preferred to have it touch the hot exhaust, so my question is, can I wedge a thick piece of steel to act as a heat shield or another material in between the header and the dipstick tube? What do you all recommend? I will post a picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Lokar has a outstanding tech line. But if not I would cut the mounting tab on mine and weld in a 1 inch spacer. Grind it down and paint it black. That's what I did in my Torino with the Dynomax headers. Use a break line tube bender so that I didn't kink the tube. But it can be down by hand because there is quite of bit of play there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts