Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all....i just ordered a new transmission fluid filter and gasket and need to replace the fluid as well....now, the Haynes Manual suggests Mercon V for the Auto. Trans. Fluid....Royal Purple and Red Line make synthetic ATF's but are only recommended for tranny's needing Mercon and not Mercon V.....i cant find any synthetic ATF's that are interchangeable with Mercon V....do you guys think that i can run the Royal Purple or Red Line Fluid even though its a Mercon and not a Mercon V??.....any info is greatly appreciated....thanks

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I wouldn't try it. Stick with Mercon V unless you can find a synthetic that's a direct Mercon V replacement.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info blue streak....anyone else got any input....

also, i have had my tranny fluid changed at places like jiffy lube and was wondering if anyone knows what kinda ATF they use....it's likely that they have already soiled my tranny with whatever generic, cheap ATF they use....anyone got any info on that

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Most oil companies combine their Dexron III and Mercon V into one formula. See if you can find a synthetic DexronIII/MerconV combo or find a Dexron III that says on the bottle that it is compatible with Mercon V.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im pretty suer i saw some synthetic mercon V at the store the other day, but i cant be for sure best bet is to probably check out your local (not a chain store) auto parts store, you know the one with the 5 guys that live eat breathe car parts and accessories? not the place where some jackass that cant even put on a wiperblade correctly works

·
Registered
32 Posts
also remember that when you change your pan gasket and filter you only get like 4 or 5 qts out of the tranny there will still be alot of old fluid in there it might be a good idea to take it to a shop and have them change the fluid at a shop that i used to work at we would disconnect a tranny line at the cooler run 16 qts or more through the tranny (until the fluid was clean) and then we would put everything back together. just my 2 cents usually runs about 70 - 90 bucks but if you just change the filter you now have 5 qts of brand new filthy fluid and a nasty filter right from the get go. we used to change the fluid then change the filter, fill it back up and then you had a brand new setup..... just an idea for you

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info my1ststang98gt......if u can remember the name of the fluid that would be great....either way, thanks a bunch

·
Registered
32 Posts
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?subcatID=19
http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSE2PVLEXAAMCO_Mercon_V.asp

the redline is a full synthetic and the exxon is a blend, the blend is probably way more cost effective than the full synthetic if you are going to get a full 16 qt flush i also called a lube center by my house and when i asked if they carried mercon V synthetic he replied.... no sir we carry penzoil..... so make sure you go to a place that knows what the hell they are doing..... might be worth it to go to the dealer i dont trust anyone with my baby.... wouldent tell you to eaither

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks a lot for the info 1ststang...really appreciate it....:drink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.