Discussion Starter #1
these are the numbers on it:

Trans # RF-098R-7008-AB. C-2604194.

On the tag - E2ZRAA. 3127. DC21.

is it a t-5 or a 4spd? thanks:headscratch:

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have no clue what you have??? All t-5 trannies will start with a 1352 on the tag. What you have I do not know but if you find out let us know :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it came with the rest of the drive train and suspension from an 85 fox 5.0. they guy I got it from knows nothing

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yeah thats really weird because the 85 fox bodies also had T-5's in them. If I remember correctly 85 was the first year for the world class t-5. Either way it should have 1352 somewhere on the tag, if not I am puzzled..:so

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
E2ZR = manual transmission designed for an '82 Mustang

T5 transmission = 1983+

Does this tag have "RUG" on it?

Post a picture of the transmission.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok. i'll post a pic on saturday

·
Registered
563 Posts
E2ZR = manual transmission designed for an '82 Mustang

T5 transmission = 1983+

Does this tag have "RUG" on it?

Post a picture of the transmission.

Actually 82 and up when they started the T-5 BUT they were not the world class until late 85 but what is now called the non world class T-5 until late 85 when they started making the WC model T-5. The older NWC T-5's took gear oil instead of dextron and were pretty much crap and when they started making them they were for AMC passenger cars. The metal tag even on a NWC T-5 should start with a 1352 and have 3 numbers following it from either 001 to 265. All this can be found here Identifying and Assembling a T5 5 Speed which I have posted here before.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Actually 82 and up when they started the T-5 BUT they were not the world class until late 85 but what is now called the non world class T-5 until late 85 when they started making the WC model T-5. The older NWC T-5's took gear oil instead of dextron and were pretty much crap and when they started making them they were for AMC passenger cars. The metal tag even on a NWC T-5 should start with a 1352 and have 3 numbers following it from either 001 to 265. All this can be found here Identifying and Assembling a T5 5 Speed which I have posted here before.
Mustangs and Capris did not have T5s until December of '82 ('83 model year). Mustang and Capri T5s had an E3ZR (manual transmission designed for '83 Mustang) part number. There were other four- and five-speed manual transmissions before then in the Mustang and Capri, some made by Borg Warner, but they were not T5s. The non-turbocharged and turbocharged 2.3L in '81 and '82 had an optional five-speed.

Standard duty T5s in Mustangs and Capris used Mercon II (automatic) transmission fluid. Says so right in the original owner's guides and factory shop manuals. The Borg Warner/TREMEC service guide says to refer to vehicle manufacturer for fluid specifications.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mustangs and Capris did not have T5s until December of '82 ('83 model year). Mustang and Capri T5s had an E3ZR (manual transmission designed for '83 Mustang) part number. There were other four- and five-speed manual transmissions before then in the Mustang and Capri, some made by Borg Warner, but they were not T5s. The non-turbocharged and turbocharged 2.3L in '81 and '82 had an optional five-speed.

Standard duty T5s in Mustangs and Capris used Mercon II (automatic) transmission fluid. Says so right in the original owner's guides and factory shop manuals. The Borg Warner/TREMEC service guide says to refer to vehicle manufacturer for fluid specifications.
Yeah if you go back to what I wrote I did say they started making the T-5 in 82 for AMC passenger cars not mustangs. All the T5 NWC really was, was a T4 with an added 5th gear but was called a T-5 since the added gear. They did take a heavy gear oil. I never said they were put in mustangs in 82 I only stated they started the production of T-5's for AMC in 82. Like I said there is a huge write up that is very thorough and the history is from 82-2000 on that site. Sure there is much more information on the web but I found that site useful with the tag information being so handy with idenifying what T-5 you have.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I'm aware the T5 was used in other vehicles...AMC, Jeep, GM...

My first reply was for Mustangs (and Capris) only since A) this is a 5.0 Mustang tech forum; AND B) the engineering number suffix on the tag in question was apparently from a transmission specially designed for a 1982 Mustang.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yeah I was only making clear that they made the T-5 from 82 up. People put trannies out of stranger cars believe me so it could be anything but it's not a T-5. This is a mustang tech forum but like I said people can stuff some weird things in their cars and engine compartments. I have no clue what the tag # refers to but was only making some statements and facts on the history of the T-5.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.