Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hope this trany holds up being made in china not sure why they had to outsource this major part to that country?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Isn't everything made in China? -- mostly anyways.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stopped to stroll through a Ford dealer on the way back from the lake this past Sunday and noticed a sticker on the side of the aux trans cooler of a new 2011 F-250SD; it said "made in China". The parts percentage sticker on window stated it had sufficient US/Canada/Mexico components to be considered 100% N American. I forgot to look at the Mustang sticker, but since they were automatics, the trans were probably built in US or France. This is only the beginning; soon the cars/trucks may be 45% or more Chinese.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
If a Chinese man can drill a hole for 20 cents as apposed to ours who require $50-$100... all the more power to him. I thank him for making my car more affordable.

Get used to it people... the world is an open flat marketplace and we must compete against skilled (or unskilled) labor that is cheaper than our own. This is good for the world... it's creative destruction at its finest.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Why would I thank them? More people over there means less people working here and therefore means no jobs. Plus, 99% of the quality that comes from China is below average. So when your tranny goes out at 10k miles, then you can thank them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Glad the drive train is covered for 5 yrs / 60,000 miles! But there few and far between items that are 100% US. Thta's just of the way of big business, outsource and save mega bucks. Agree with Bryce on that.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Why would I thank them? More people over there means less people working here and therefore means no jobs. Plus, 99% of the quality that comes from China is below average. So when your tranny goes out at 10k miles, then you can thank them.
You really think the tranny is going to go out on the 2011's at 10k miles because they are sourced partly in China? What planet are you living on? If we can't be competitive with them, well, that's our problem. Turning a screw is a low value added item... it's best for the world economy to have that done where it is most efficient, that is China and not here where workers require a lot more back back scratching.

Also, there will be less and less people working here in the future as long as they keep eating 2 lb steaks and donuts while sitting on their couches playing Wii's and Nintendos. The fat of the world are fat and full... the people who want to work are eager and hungry. That's the way it works when the world is flat. This isn't post WWII anymore where we were the center of the world. The US is becoming more insignificant with every passing day.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You really think the tranny is going to go out on the 2011's at 10k miles because they are sourced partly in China? What planet are you living on? If you can't be competitive with them, well, that's your problem. Turning a screw is a low value added item... it's best for the world economy to have that done where it is most efficient, that is China and not here where workers require a lot more back scratching.
I wonder if you will be singing the same tune when this economy loses its entire manufacturing base (hey, everything is cheaper to build in China)? At that point, we will not have an economy left and will turn into 3rd world country.

·
Registered
160 Posts
How would you feel knowing the production team's foreman was trained by the People's Revolutionary Army?

I wonder if you will be singing the same tune when this economy loses its entire manufacturing base (hey, everything is cheaper to build in China)? At that point, we will not have an economy left and will turn into 3rd world country.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That and these factory workers are dropping dead and committing suicide from exhaustion/poor working conditions. There are some SERIOUS human rights issues going on in a lot of these factories. Only paying 20 cents for labor has consequences beyond just poor workmanship, but anything to make a buck...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here at the Ford plant in Oakville, we lost 12 hours production because our parts didn`t arrive on time from Singapore!! Not much is made around these parts anymore

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
We are already headed towards being third world country and we've already lost the manufacturing base... Why, because our workers demand more than the workers in other countries, which makes us not competitive. If we lived in 1000 SF houses like other countries, and didn't beg for MRI's, CT's, and every workup in the industry when we had a broken arm or a headache... maybe we'd be competitive... but that is too late. We've already lost the game. If we killed all the lawyers and had tort reform, it would push us in the right direction, but with interest groups owning the Hill and our politicians in their pockets, there is nothing you can really do. Fend for yourself because the government is not here to help you, make yourself competitive somehow... that is not by building something... you need to value-add somehow in such a way that a peasant in a 4th world country cannot.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
No one could afford to live in America or Canada without China, with the real inflation rate of about 18% a lack of inexpensive goods and services would quickly expose the facade that is our governments...health care is the real indicator of inflation, notice how it's costs are skyrocketing, it's the one thing that cannot be outsourced!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
That and these factory workers are dropping dead and committing suicide from exhaustion/poor working conditions. There are some SERIOUS human rights issues going on in a lot of these factories. Only paying 20 cents for labor has consequences beyond just poor workmanship, but anything to make a buck...
It's funny when we comment on "human rights issues" in foreign countries when we ourselves have HUGE "human rights issues" in our own backyard.. let alone our front yard and in our own house. And I'm not even a "liberal" by common definition and I sadly say this.

·
Registered
872 Posts
McDonald's shrek glasses for the kids meals were recalled because of a dangerous chemical. This isn't the first time that this has happened. Many cases of lead were found in numerous toys and other things. And guess where they were manufactured... yep China! Now take that info and mix it with the transmission and you have yourself a lethal part made from another country.

Just look at the quality of everything now from t-shirts to cars to baby products! Why do you think classic cars last longer than newer ones? Because they quality was so great back then, that it couldn't be matched by anyone else. And now that the quality comes from another country, it's all **** now. But, since greed plays a major role in today's world they don't care about quality. So now we have 80% of our things breaking faster than we can replace them.

I know you believers about cheaper labor may think that it's "right" thing, but when you look at reality it's not. I would rather have a product that lasts 20-30 years than to have a low costing product that lasts only 10 months. Just look at the very few products that are made here and do use our materials and compare them to the other crap. They last longer, are safer and are stronger in every aspect.

Basically we went from "Made in USA" to "Made from a foreign country". I want America back please...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the tremecs in the 05-09's were made in France.

I don't personally care where it's made so long as it works.

You want American? Go buy a GM. Oh wait! That won't work... same issues there.
Fact is, all companies are using an international labor pool.

Vote the right way and get the unions' cronies out of power. Encourage businesses to move to Right to Work states where the unions hold no power. That's the only way any of that will turn around, but even that won't overcome the labor costs from 3rd and 2nd world countries, which are pennies on the dollar comparatively.

·
Registered
114 Posts
McDonald's shrek glasses for the kids meals were recalled because of a dangerous chemical. This isn't the first time that this has happened. Many cases of lead were found in numerous toys and other things. And guess where they were manufactured... yep China! Now take that info and mix it with the transmission and you have yourself a lethal part made from another country.
I for one, prefer the parts be made in America, but I understand the cost in China simply makes it more cost efficient for Ford and other manufactures.

Speaking of the glasses:
There have been a lot of screw-ups in China but these glasses were not one of them.
The McD Shrek glasses were made in America. AND they were well within the tolerated chemical levels set by the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Committee). The levels were tested by an independent 3rd party testing lab (approved by the CPSC) who confirmed all chemical levels were well within the excepted ranges known to not pose a hazard to living beings. Additionally, the chemical was found in the print coating, which coincidentally, isn't even accessible on the glass. I know this because I work for a different third party testing lab that conducts testing for one of McD's competitors.

So why did McD recall the glasses you ask? Because an unidentified source "tested" the glasses using an unconfirmed testing method and reported their "concern" about the Cadmium (Heavy Metal/Chemical) to the CPSC. This is what started this ordeal. The CPSC, in all their wisdom, decided to recommend to McD a complete recall just to make sure everything was "OK". In other words, McD recalled the glasses to avoid a potential media frenzy in which they may be accused of keeping glasses on the market with __ levels of chemical ingredients. Even if the public does not know the tolerated levels of chemical and their effects, they will burn McD at the stake for what they're fed by the media. Again, this particular recall was caused in order to avoid further damaging media hype.

Any ways sorry for the McD/glasses sidebar. Back to 2011 Mustang Trans built in China...

·
Registered
13 Posts
If a Chinese man can drill a hole for 20 cents as apposed to ours who require $50-$100... all the more power to him. I thank him for making my car more affordable.

Get used to it people... the world is an open flat marketplace and we must compete against skilled (or unskilled) labor that is cheaper than our own. This is good for the world... it's creative destruction at its finest.
Wow, appalling. I know, relax, the end result is just that our kids and their kids will be in economic servitude to China for their entire lives but, hey, we'll be dead so who cares? Of course, besides that, have you ever seen anything made well coming out of China? Pretty much everything that comes out of China ends up in the landfill within weeks. And don't tell me that's not the case anymore or that Ford is too big, they won't get crap: just a few weeks ago McDonalds had to pull 12 million Shrek cups because they were painted with cadmium. A friend of mine sourced wagons in China. They eventually looked elsewhere because they gave up trying to get a decent quality product. The Chinese simply do not care.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.