Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
While have some work done on my 65 pony we noticed a section of the coolant lines running from the transmission to the radiator were collaped. It looks like somewhere along the line some one must of tried lifting the car and didn't know the lines were there. Anyhow we replaced the lines and since then the trany has been making wering sound, a transmission guy said I need the trany rebuilt because the torque converter is making that noise. I had my mechanic drain out the fluid and change the filter. We replaced the fluid with a sysnetic product we thought would work better, it didn't. Any body out have any ideas about what may of happened and hopefully a fix other then a costly rebuild? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
What sort of noise is it? Our school had a Ford O Matic that had a destroyed torque converter. One of the fins inside it had broken loose tearing up the torque converter from the inside. It made a sort of clunking, scraping noise.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
That sounds like pump noise. As long as the transmission is performing well I would drive it. If it is the torque converter then it will get worse in a hurry and you will know it before any damage is done to the transmission.
It sounds like that guy is trying to drum up work. The cure for the pump noise is grinding a chamfer on the leading edge of the pump crescent and a new set of gears. Like I said, drive it until it either gets worse or you get tired of the wirring sound. When you rebuild it you should install a new converter anyway but it is senseless to do anything right now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like pump noise. As long as the transmission is performing well I would drive it. If it is the torque converter then it will get worse in a hurry and you will know it before any damage is done to the transmission.
It sounds like that guy is trying to drum up work. The cure for the pump noise is grinding a chamfer on the leading edge of the pump crescent and a new set of gears. Like I said, drive it until it either gets worse or you get tired of the wirring sound. When you rebuild it you should install a new converter anyway but it is senseless to do anything right now.

Thanks for your reply, do you have any idea why after only the damaged lines were changed did the noise start? We did replace the filter and filled the tranmission with synthetic fluid on the chance it would help but it didn't.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Get the synthetic fluid out of that C4!
The only time you should consider using synthetic fluid in a C4 is if you use Carbon / Kevlar friction materials. The C4 should always use type "F" fluid.
Synthetic fluid will burn your friction material because it is too slippery - The fluid will not burn - just the friction materials.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get the synthetic fluid out of that C4!
The only time you should consider using synthetic fluid in a C4 is if you use Carbon / Kevlar friction materials. The C4 should always use type "F" fluid.
Synthetic fluid will burn your friction material because it is too slippery - The fluid will not burn - just the friction materials.

Wow, I'm just a novice at this and was trusting my machanic who says he has a lot of years working on drive lines. I don't think he was trying to pull a fast one but was basing it on past experience. May the other tranmissions he used synthetic fluid were not C4s. Thanks so much for your help, I'll get it changed this week. Must I do anything else rather then draining out to wrong fluid and installing Type F? I wish I lived closer to your shop, I would be there tomorrow.
Best Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You don't have to do anything but drain the transmission and converter - there should be a drain on it - if not then you may have to drain it - run it for 20 minutes and drain it again.
Be sure to put 4 quarts in it before you start it and then with the engine idling in Park fill to between the ADD and Full marks on the dipstick.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started this tread several months ago and want to seek some more advice. Regarding the synthetic fluid I had installed in June, the fluid used was Wolfshead synthetic fluid. I called their tech dept. and was told the fluid I used would not harm the transmission, the tech guy gave me a long explaination which I can't remebers all the details other then I'm OK with their fluid in my C4. The car is driven almost daily and is shifting fine. I was great to get responses indicating your concern for my car, thanks. I wanted to ask you guys another question. It turns out the mechanic I thought I could trust has caused me other issues with other things he repaired and I had to take my care to a second soure to get it straighten out. Regarding the weiring noise I've been fighting I wonder if when the first guy replaced the damaged section of my trans cooling lines, (he replaced about a two foot section of both lines) that if he crossed the lines when they were replaced is causing the noise or if it even makes a differents. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Nope, Reversing the lines won't make any difference.
If you want to check it out the rear line connects to the cooler on the passenger side.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your reply, after I sent the note I got to thing about it and you confirmed it. Again, thanks for your quick reply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.